Sharp's 80-inch Aquos LED LCD TV Will Cost $5,500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyree

Distinguished
I though we had discussion on how really large tv with 1080p picture quality = really large pixel before. This is another one of such example, so only to be watched from a distance away.

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Hey, I've had a Sharp LED-LCD TV for two years and except for the built-in speakers, which suck big time, the TV is fabulous, or fantabulous? Anyway, it's not quattron, whether that matters or not, but Sharp builds a nice TV, IMO, and $5.5K for a TV this size is not out of line. . .but too much for my pocketbook, though.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]I though we had discussion on how really large tv with 1080p picture quality = really large pixel before. This is another one of such example, so only to be watched from a distance away.[/citation]

good for you now shut it and go back to watching your 30" LCD TV :)

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I don't think $5500 , imagine what this would have cost just 3 or 4 years ago, I paid nearly $4000 for my 50 Pioneer Elite , of course, 50" could be had fo less but the Pioneer elite was the top of the line.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"so only to be watched from a distance away."

The thing is, people I know that have TVs under ~30" use them in close quarters like in bedrooms. People I know with big TVs, like 50"+ are putting them at a distance like in their living rooms.

I don't think it is necessarily to remind people that an 80" TV is not likely the right TV to stick on their nightstand, four feet from their bed, just like I don't think we need to tell people that sticking a 13" TV 25 feet from their couch will be pretty useless.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"It will also include Sharp's exclusive AQUOS Advantage LIVE online support which allows tech support to remotely connect to the TV through the Internet to assist with TV setup, troubleshoot and optimize the picture quality. Creepy"

I don't think that's creepy at all, a lot of consumers don't have a clue on how to setup their TV's properly, this could actually benefit the consumer experience, specially when other manufacturers add the same functionality to their TV's.

As for the price tag that is to be expected for a new TV like that, in just a few short years (about 5) TV's this large will be more common and the price would have dropped to a more reasonable 2K range.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I did the math on pixel size-- 80" and 1080p would work out to 0.85 mm2. I pretty sure this will be perfectly acceptable from any normal viewing distance. For comparison 55" would be .40 and 30" .12.

Granted, most likely your 30" is only 720p, so those pixels are more like 0.27 mm2.

The iPhone 4 is at .006 mm2. Scaling that up to an 80" diagonal would require something like 23000x13000 resolution.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Converting the 5,500$ to Indian Rupees works out to like 2,47,500 Rs. and that is not the most expensive around here all though you don't see TV's like those here lol very often.
But I loved the Aqous ones before this the 42 was.... picture perfect. SO this ought to be better since the timing have changed to 120 now...... will look forward to it's availability here.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
kind of pointless, even @ 55" you get to see the low pixel density. But then again, this beats any 1080p projector hands down when it comes to contrast.

X-Nemesis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
How would this perform as a PC Monitor? I currently sit about 4-5ft from my 60" Plasma and that's great without noticing any pixels...but 1080p on an 80"?

G

I saw what I think was a 80" DLP HDTV at Fry's. Wow... crazy big. I wish my house was big enough to accommodate such a beast. A 6 foot tall vag could be a little creepy though.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Whats the deal with restating over and over its a $5000 TV with crazy adjectives??? Does the author not remember TV prices from just a few years back or better yet 5 years or more? My first 37" was $2200(with tax and a warranty I am glad I got!) and not the most expensive model either. To me this sounds like a deal if you have the room to fit it in. Anyhow I hope this helps bring down the more reasonably sized TV's prices.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
80 inches! WOW! Too bad I can't afford one.

On the other hand don't get too excited about the Quattron quad-pixel technology. According to several well known consumer oriented publications the yellow is not part of the International film and tv standards. Consider it an advertising gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.