Smart TV and old receiver

OldTreasures

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
New Samsung smart TV (with all types of audio out options).
Trying to connect to Onkyo TX-8511 which has sound running to Sony speakers.

I have tried RCA output from the TV to Video 1 input on the receiver and I am not getting sound. The receiver does work because I had a record player and AUX cord attached as well.

Can someone suggest a solution?

Without the model of the TV we can know what audio outputs your TV actually has. It's easy to mistake an input for an output.
If your TV has a headphone output use that. You will only need a 3.5mm stereo to 2 RCA plug cable.
If your TV has digital audio output (most likely is optical) then you will need a converter like this one
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-(51-compatible)--180-999
and cables to make the connections.
You may need to turn the optical output on, the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type in the TV menu to get it working.

Without the model of the TV we can know what audio outputs your TV actually has. It's easy to mistake an input for an output.
If your TV has a headphone output use that. You will only need a 3.5mm stereo to 2 RCA plug cable.
If your TV has digital audio output (most likely is optical) then you will need a converter like this one
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-(51-compatible)--180-999
and cables to make the connections.
You may need to turn the optical output on, the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type in the TV menu to get it working.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Audio 2
M Audio 9
J Audio 1
A Audio 1
I Audio 8
V Audio 2
C Audio 1
V Audio 1
A Audio 2
S Audio 1
M Audio 8