Solved! Sony UBP X700 and Yamaha YAS 108 soundbar power issue.

Jan 16, 2019
Hello,

So I have run into a problem I am not sure how to resolve.

I upgraded to a Samsung 4K tv recently and decided to buy a 4K Blu Ray Player. I went with the Sony ubp X700.

Shortly after I decided to pickup the Yamaha YAS 108 soundbar.

I have the soundbar plugged into the TVs ARC input and the Blu Ray plugged into the HDMI in on the soundbar.

I started to notice that the Blu Ray Player would not power on without unplugging it and plugging it back in.

I contacted Sony support and they suggested a power cycle and factory reset. Did that and still had the same issue. I also tried plugging it into different outlets.

I returned it and picked up the same model to find again that I was having the same issue.

I decided to just try plugging the Blu Ray players hdmi directly into the tv because and of course the thing will power off and on without having to unplug it and plug it back in.

So, why is it that this issue occurs when the player is plugged into the soundbar? Any ideas?

Equipment

Samsung - 55" Class - LED - NU8000 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

Sony UBP X700

Yamaha YAS 108 soundbar.

4K HDMI Cable 6 ft - Atevon High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Cable (Two of them, one plugged into the soundbar to the tv and the other to the Blu Ray Player.

Solution
Have you tried disabling CEC? It often doesn't work the way it should.
I would suggest connecting the BD player to the TV. No advantage to going through the soundbar in this case since it doesn't seem to support lossless audio which is HDMI direct only. You avoid any possible video issues this way.

robert600

Distinguished
I've been eyeing the X700 because it can do something few of the other Players can so ... sorry to hear you're having problems with it. What you're doing should work perfectly but apparently does not. I can't explain it but I can offer you an alternative hook up method. Connect it directly to the tv via the normal hdmi port (out 1) and connect it to the Yamaha via the audio only hdmi port (out 2).

Have you tried disabling CEC? It often doesn't work the way it should.
I would suggest connecting the BD player to the TV. No advantage to going through the soundbar in this case since it doesn't seem to support lossless audio which is HDMI direct only. You avoid any possible video issues this way.

Solution
Jan 16, 2019

I did turn off cec on my Blu Ray player. Would I need to turn it off elsewhere?

By having it plugged into the soundbar I get DTS and Dolby sound but I suppose I may have to live without it.

robert600

Distinguished
"By having it plugged into the soundbar I get DTS and Dolby sound but I suppose I may have to live without it. "

You wouldn't have to live without it if you connected the 'audio only' (out 2) of the x700 to the hdmi in of the sound bar.

robert600

Distinguished
Yes ... having that 'audio only' hdmi out is a very nice feature of the x700.

Another very nice thing about the x700 (and the x800 for that matter) that isn't widely known is .... it will play HEVC encodes (put in a mkv container) that are copied as data onto blank blu-rays. Very, very few players will do this.