Strange Google Chrome process in background

reastie1008

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015
For about a month i have been having a problem where a separate google chrome process starts in the background whenever i turn on my PC, it constantly uses about 30% of my cpu but if i end it google chrome itself doesn't stop, i can't figure out what is causing this issue. I checked the google chrome task manager and it says nothing about it. My friend has also started to have the same issue. Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

Solution
It is normal that you see several processes chrome.exe, but if you see these after the Windows start, then you maybe have pinned tabs?
Start msconfig32.exe and see the Autostartup tab, or run the free version of "Security Task Manager" to see if the GoogleUpdate.exe starts these processes.
Process name? Can you add more information via Task Manager or Resource Monitor?

Use "Bing" (not Google) to research the name of the process. Find out what the process is and what it may be doing.

Then "Google" as well.

Overall idea being to determine if the process is a legitimate google process and how it got started and what it is doing.

You can and should run AV and malware scans - the scans may be revealing.

reastie1008

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015

It comes up exactly the same as google chrome would in the task manager, but as google chrome has a number next to it showing the string of tasks linked to it, this program is separate to that list but if i open the file location it still goes to google chrome in my files. And it starts whenever i start my pc.

reastie1008

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015

That's the thing it doesn't appear on the start up tab, no google chrome at all is there, is there any setting on chrome to disable it on start up?

Feb 19, 2018
It is normal that you see several processes chrome.exe, but if you see these after the Windows start, then you maybe have pinned tabs?
Start msconfig32.exe and see the Autostartup tab, or run the free version of "Security Task Manager" to see if the GoogleUpdate.exe starts these processes.

Solution
Sep 9, 2018
I was just having this same problem. It hadn't been doing this until recently, but also recently I downloaded a torrent file which was actually malicious. I've been going through my computer cleaning out files, and noticed something called lavasoft- web companion. It was an adware program that disguised itself as a browser help software. I was able to forcefully remove it, and immediately after noticed the google chrome processes stopped running. I would recommend doing a clean sweep of your computer with an anti-virus software, check your control panel > Programs > Programs and features > uninstall a program, and look for any unusual programs that you did not install or you may not need. IF you come across a program that refuses to uninstall or may seem like an infectious file, google it and find a way to safely remove it. Google chrome, when opened by the user should never utilize large amounts of CPU, unless you are using a severely outdated PC. So if this continues to happen you have some malicious program taking over your application, forcing it to run processes to gain information on your browsing history and style, and is more than likely gaining data from you.