ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have been searching everywhere to solve this problem that I have with my subwoofer.
It works perfectly on any browser based application (such as YouTube) as well as all of my games.
However, if I try to listen to music on programs like Windows Media Player, iTunes, Spotify, or anything else it doesn't work.

I have it plugged in through analog cables to a Sound Blaster Z.
Maybe it is a conflict with the built-in subwoofer on my speakers? They are Creative T40 Series II's and my subwoofer is an old Yamaha YST-SW015.

I have it set up as a 5.1 audio setup in Creative's software but I is a 2.1 setup because I do not have satellite speakers. They are not an integrated setup.

I would really like to solve this problem because it makes my music sound a lot better and I like to use my media keys to control music.
I appreciate everyone's help, and thank you very much in advance.

Proleopard

Solution
2.1 stereo sound outputs on the green jack only, 5.1 outputs on all 3. this likely has something to do with your issue.

the easiest way to make everything play nice would be to make your setup like a regular 2.1 pc speaker set (use just the green jack).

i'd use a splitter on the feed and hook one end up to your speakers, the other up to your sub. if your sub doesnt have a gain knob a low-pass filter might be needed. if connected in this way they would behave exactly like a computer 2.1 set.
You should NOT be setup for 5.1, you should be setup for 2.1.

I've never used a separate subwoofer (usually speakers are plugged into it), however I believe you should be setup like THIS:

1) 2.1 through Audio Devices

2) GREEN output to desktop stereo speakers

3) ORANGE output to subwoofer

Then test in "Playback Devices" and/or through the Creative software.

Update:
Okay your outputs aren't colored so it should be:
Desktop speakers-> Audio out (sometimes labelled "front")
Subwoofer-> Center/Bass output

2.1 stereo sound outputs on the green jack only, 5.1 outputs on all 3. this likely has something to do with your issue.

the easiest way to make everything play nice would be to make your setup like a regular 2.1 pc speaker set (use just the green jack).

i'd use a splitter on the feed and hook one end up to your speakers, the other up to your sub. if your sub doesnt have a gain knob a low-pass filter might be needed. if connected in this way they would behave exactly like a computer 2.1 set.

Solution

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, so I made sure and I already do have them set up in the right way, the speakers are plugged into the audio out and the subwoofer is plugged into the center/sub output. The sub requires an analog connection (red and white ports) but the sound card does not have that, so I used this contraption that is the opposite of a splitter that came with my speakers. It takes the red and white ports and turns it into a single thing that plugs into my sound card.

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

I don't understand everything you are saying, but I have a separate sub and it is connected to the center/sub output on my sound card. Therefore, since they are two devices I have to use two different ports and connectors. Technically there are three connectors because the sub requires analog, and I used a combiner (or whatever the opposite of a splitter is) to plug it into my card.

3.5mm out the back of your pc...
to a splitter...
one side connects up to speakers, the other to your sub.

optional: low pass filter if too much high frequency sound is passing to your subwoofer causing it to misfire.

by using just the headphone jack it will behave like any other 2.1 pc speaker set. this is a hardware-side fix for your issue.

you might be able to do it software side as well, but that could be harder to nail down

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

I would have done this, but my sub requires two outputs, like I said. The red and white one, analog. The speakers need only the green one. I also have some headphones plugged into the headphone jack already, and I have the speakers into the audio out/green port.

...which is why you would put the rca adapter....after......the splitter.

a headphone jack and the green 3.5mm are the same thing. it is for front L/R audio (which is for headphones or speakers). i'm not talking about the one on the front of your case.

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Ohhh ok so I need to get an RCA adapter, got it. so the adapter takes the two cables and turns it into one, and then I plug the sub into one end of the splitter. Then I take the front L/R speakers and plug them into the other end of the splitter. So you think that'll work? Also what would happen if I used the old AV Receiver from the home theater?

basically the only thing you'd be adding is a splitter on the 3.5mm and using the adapter you already are using for the subwoofer connected up to the one side, and your speakers hooked up to the other. as i said before, if high frequency noise passes through too much you could always filter it out with a low-pass.

the t40 is self powered, hooking it up to a receiver's speaker jacks would damage the speakers. dont do that.

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Ok cool, that makes sense. Now is there any way I could use the T40s with the receiver? Like an adapter or something?

ien2222

Distinguished
Let's back up for a minute first.

Look on page 32 of your manual "speakers/headphones settings", since the manual doesn't completely go through all settings, I need you to check for me: On the speakers setting, when you select 2.1 does the bass management selection still remain? Specifically can you enable bass redirection?

If you can, then keep the 2.1 selection and enable bass redirection. Have you T40's connected to line out (L/R), then connect the sub/center out to the sub. For the sub, the 3.5mm to RCA adapter that came with your T40's is fine to use, however, only one channel has sub output (the other channel is the center). I don't know if it's the red or white, you'll have to use the speaker test to know which it is, but you only use one RCA connection to your sub. So if you test for the sub, and it plays on Red, then use the red and have it connected to the top jack that's listed as mono. Otherwise if it's white, same thing.

If you cannot use bass redirection on 2.1, then switch it to 5.1 and unselect the center and rear speakers. This should give you a phantom center without rear output. Connections are the same as above.

At this point, the sub should always be playing regardless of content...assuming the content is low enough into the bass region for it to play. (A piccolo won't engage it for example, bass guitar will)

Once that is done, on your yamaha, set the crossover to the highest setting, it's listed as "high cut" on the front panel, just turn it all the way up. Next, you'll need to adjust the crossover freq in the control panel where you found the bass redirection, this sets the point where sound transitions from the sub to the t40's. This you'll have to play by ear to see what sounds best. Also you'll need to adjust the volume on the sub itself so it's balanced with the speakers to your liking.

After that's all done you're good to go.

Edit: I forgot to mention, on the speakers/headphones settings make sure the "Full range speakers" are left unchecked.

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Wow thank you for the detailed reply. I am not home at the moment but when I do get home this weekend I will try what you said and see if it works. Thank you very much.

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, I tried the whole thing and it finally worked, thank you very much.
But just one more question. Whenever I play a song with some bass, there's a really weird loud sound that comes from my T40's sometimes. I don't know how to explain it but when I turn the bass down COMPLETELY the weird sound disappears. I am using these in a really large room with high ceilings and lots of space. Maybe that's the problem?
It overpowers my music and it didn't happen before when I didn't have my Creative Sound Card.

ien2222

Distinguished
That should not be happening.

Hmmm.....

Is it consistent? Given the same song at the same volume will it always make this sound? And are you sure it's the T40's? If it's in the lower-mid bass region, you can get some bad resonance occurring depending on the sub's placement.

If you can get the problem to occur consistently, one playthrough turn off the T40's and see if it's the sub that's actually creating the problem. If it is, then you'll have to place it in a different location, preferably in a more open spot. Try multiple locations as sub placement can be very finicky.

If it's the T40's, we'll have to try something else.

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

So I removed the sub because its a home theater sub part of a 6.1 channel setup, so I returned it to that location and I don't get that weird sound when I use it with the 6.1 setup. It is definitely the T40s because I get that weird sound without the sub.
Yes it is consistent, it's always one particular frequency that goes crazy and overpowers everything.
I don't know what to do, and like I said it only happened after I got my sound card.
The sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster Z, if that helps at all.
The room I am in is about 1000 square feet and very very open, no furniture just my table and PC in the corner.

ien2222

Distinguished
Was this a problem you had with your card before the setup in my first post? I see with the MB (previous card) it wasn't a problem, but did you test out the soundcard with these speakers beforehand?

Troubleshooting an odd problem might take alittle time here, let's first see where the the frequency is:

http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm

The generator is very loud, so before your start make sure your volume is at minimum. After that hit play (it should be at 440Hz), slowly turn up the volume til it's at a reasonable level (doesn't need to be loud). Next slowly slide the bar lower and higher and find out where it gets out of control and note the frequency.

Next I'd like you to move the speakers to a different position, you can just set them on the floor in the middle of the room and then to the same sweep again. If there is a change, then the room acoustics is at least part of the problem. If there really isn't much of a change then it's more a hardware/software problem.

So first, if the problem seems to go away, let me know what frequencies the problem is at when the speakers are on your desk.

Otherwise if there isn't much change, then first restore to default settings, page 28 of your manual (at least on the online version) shows you where. Test the speakers again, if you are still having problems, at this point I'd suggest uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and software for the sound card and then try again.

If restoring to default did work, try and enable bass redirection again and see if that was the problem. Should that be the problem, I'll have to do some research as to why you are having that problem.

If nothing seems to work, it could be a bad card. Make sure it's not the speakers by playing them with your MB (or previous card if that's what you had), it shouldn't be the case but might as well be thorough.

Let us know what happens,

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Ok so I did do some fussing around with the Sound Blaster program, and that helped a tiny bit but the sound is still there and it is quite bad. I used the website you sent me and the problem is right around 140hz. from about 136/137hz all the way up to 145hz. It starts to get better around 150 and at 160hz it stabilizes and comes back to the volume it should be at.
I have always wanted to move my speakers and computer itself, but there's no way of doing that quickly. Like I said it's a big room and there are no outlets for me to plug my speakers into and my computer also has a short wire from the PSU.
I will get an extension cord and rewire my entire setup, but I won't be able to do that until maybe this Friday.
I have a hunch that it is the room because I tried to make the same sound with my voice, and it does the same thing my speakers do.
It becomes really loud all of the sudden and hurts my ears.
I guess you would say it is resonating, but I don't know exactly what to call it.

Again, thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
-ProLeopard

ien2222

Distinguished
Hey, this will be short as I'm heading out the door in a couple of minutes.

So, at 140Hz it's still low enough where you might be having some boundary/Allison effect issues. Just a quick test for you to try: Put a pillow between each speaker and the rear wall, and then to the sides if there is any nearby wall/surface. A thick or doubled over blanket will do too, just need to absorb sound. If it's the environment, this should have a large effect.

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, I will try that as soon as possible.