Surface Pro 3 Display

Bertrand_91

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
Hi Guys, I have a surface pro 3 plugged into my Dell monitor. Currently it is to project on second screen only. However, when i try to change it to show on the PC screen, it doesn't work. Even extending the displays or duplicating it does not work. My surface pro 3's screen still doesn't show up.

What's surprising is that the touch still works even when the screen is black on the surface. Does anyone know how to solve this issue? your help will be greatly appreciated!

Solution
The touch function and actual LCD screens don't need to break together, one or the other can fail on their own. We have a few tablet systems with bad screens, it happens.

Bertrand_91

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Hi @hang-the-9 , I can still hear the fans on the unit running, but the screen just doesn't light up. Not sure if its a software issue since i did set the "choose what the lid does" to "do nothing".

Sounds like the screen is bad. Need some better info here, so the screen does not work at all, monitor or no monitor correct? You fully shut it down, turn it on, no screen?

Bertrand_91

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

The surface does not work normally if i dont have the monitor attached, meaning to say i am only seeing a black screen.
I am able to use the surface when connected to the monitor cause there is a display. But without the monitor, i am unable to use it because the screen is black.

Your first post made it sound like the only issue was when you have a monitor attached and you could not use both screens. If there is no display at all, screen is bad. Cost for a new one looks to be 120-160 for the part.

Bertrand_91

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

oh man. that sucks. i can still use the touch functions when connected to the monitor tho.

and its not very feasible to repair the screen if it costs so much.

Thanks anyway!! Appreciate the help and advise!