Toshiba Satellite keyboard and touchpad don't work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catalyst009

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hello,

Strange problem, I wonder if any of you have come across this. I've got a friend with a Toshiba L305D-S5934. Occasionally the touchpad and keyboard become completely inoperable while the laptop is in use (a USB mouse will work, however). Oddly enough though, if you let the laptop hibernate, after it "thaws" the keyboard works again.

Laptop has been restored to a previous save, no dice. Device drivers have been replaced and reinstalled, registry has been cleaned... I'm stumped and looking to avoid completely reinstalling Vista.

Thoughts?

Solution
See if this works: Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:
1- Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.
2- Press the Power On button for 10 seconds
3- Replace battery and/or connect power cord.
4- Turn On computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly
5- Press F9 then press Enter
6- Press F10 then press Enter

Hope I helped!
Lun

dljimerson

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015
I just now had a similar - but opposite problem with my Toshibe Satellite. After mine went into hibernate - then I woke it - only the mouse worked. No keyboard action. In my case I had to hold down the power key to force a power-off. After it came back it seems fine.

Ben Geisler

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015

works!!

AUS_Doug

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

This solution worked on my sisters Laptop (Except I use CTRL ALT DEL), so thanks a bunch for that.

To stop the process starting up again, I used CCleaner:

Tools->Startup->Scheduled Tasks and disable - or delete - the entry for Synaptics Touchpad Enhancements.

Sora Ventus

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
For users with laptop software of windows 8 to 8.1

for touchpad issue

press F5 key
if it did not work
press and hold F5 key
if still not work
FN + F5 key
if still not work check the driver for the touchpad
go to control panel
Hard ware and sounds
and then click on device manager
then click the mice and other pointing devices
then checked if you see any unusual symbol on the right side of the driver name
if there is unusual symbol, right click on the driver name the select uninstall
then on the left upper part of your screen
click on action
then select scan for hardware changes
then checked if your touch pad is now working
if it still did not work
shutdown the laptop
before turning it on press and hold the F2 key
or if you see the toshiba logo screen, rapidly press the F2
then if you see the system date and time
just press F9 then choose yes
after that press F10 then choose save and exit
after that checked the laptop touchpad if still did not work contact toshiba tech support

For users with laptop software of windows 7 and below

press F9 key
if it did not work
press and hold F9 key
if still not work
FN + F9 key
if still not work check the driver for the touchpad
go to control panel
Hard ware and sounds
and then click on device manager
then click the mice and other pointing devices
then checked if you see any unusual symbol on the right side of the driver name
if there is unusual symbol, right click on the driver name the select uninstall
then on the left upper part of your screen
click on action
then select scan for hardware changes
then checked if your touch pad is now working
if it still did not work
shutdown the laptop
before turning it on press and hold the F2 key
or if you see the toshiba logo screen, rapidly press the F2
then if you see the system date and time
just press F9 then choose yes
after that press F10 then choose save and exit
after that checked the laptop touchpad if still did not work contact toshiba tech support

hope this will help for all of users :)

Bonny Cattlin

Estimable
May 9, 2015

Bonny Cattlin

Estimable
May 9, 2015
The exact same thing happens to me too. I can not comprehend it. It's not like it's an old laptop or anything thing.. I mean I've barely even had it a year... And I don't thrash it.
I'm bloody dazed.

Alexis Obiena

Estimable
May 18, 2015
This method worked for me. Thank you very much!

Whispering Sloth

Estimable
May 23, 2015
Hi,

I have the same problem with my Satellite M50D. Windows offered an important update for my Elan touchpad driver. So i updated it and after that i restarted my laptop. After the restart the keyboard and the touchpad doesn't work anymore.

Because of this, I reinstalled the whole operating system and I confirmed that my keyboard and touchpad working again until I restart my laptop. After the restart the keyboard and touch pad is gone again.

Everybody has any solution for this?

Sorry for my bad english, not my native language.

KatarinaBms

Estimable
May 23, 2015
Hi, I have Toshiba Satellite U50t-A-100. My keyboard just randomly stopped working yesterday. I have had it for a year and a half and unfortunately the warranty is only one year (had it already fixed once when still under warranty). I tried to fix it myself, tried several advices found on online forums as this seems to be a very frequent problem. I desperately need this to be fixed as I have a deadline for report cards and can't write them on I-pad... Anyone has any advice that would help fix the problem? I was also thinking about buying an external keyboard. I will never buy Toshiba products again ever and I feel like I just want to throw this one out of my window. Thanks

TBUDWEY

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015

try the mouse enable disable function kkey at the top of the keyboard. it is the second button from the right. you don't press the function key.

Sir_Oponent

Estimable
May 23, 2015
Yesterday, after update on 2015-05-20 my Toshiba Satellite M50-A PSKPNE-00N01JCZ also crash the drivers. Firstly touchpad freeze, after that also keyboard doesn't work. Restart, reinstall drivers and other experiments was not successful, 'cause there must be an error in updating software, which crashes the register!!! It was horrible for me, 'cause keyboard was disabled only 2 seconds after boot, so I can't start windows in safe mode or other solution.

But my worked solution was:

- plug usb mouse (it worked, usb keyboard doesn't work)
- start computer usually, windows login using "onscreen keyboard" and click on it with mouse
- Control Panel
- Restore Windows to a previous state

I hope engineers repair the software immediately!!!

Brandy9

Estimable
May 23, 2015

I think this is the same problem I'm having! Updated a day or two ago and no keyboard or mouse will work. Trying the usb mouse to system restore!

Sir_Oponent

Estimable
May 23, 2015

Was it helpful for You? :)

Anna Bethea

Estimable
May 24, 2015

This same thing happened to me yesterday. Is there a way to alert toshiba to this directly? This fix works, but my computer has gone through an automatic update and restart already and the same problem happens again. I don't want to have to go through system restore a bunch of times.

I think this has to do with a recent update which shows up in my Programs and Features control panel - ELAN Touchpad 11.8.43.1_X64_WHQL. I can't ever fully uninstall it (it will just reinstall itself automatically). This happens to coincide with an automatic Windows Update, which requires a system restart within a day. This is how I originally discovered this issue (keyboard/touchpad not working). I don't know if this is an automatic update through a Toshiba utility or a part of the Windows Update, but either way, I wonder if the's a way to disable them?

Anna Bethea

Estimable
May 24, 2015
I think this has to do with a recent update which shows up in my Programs and Features control panel - ELAN Touchpad 11.8.43.1_X64_WHQL. I can't ever fully uninstall it (it will just reinstall itself automatically). This happens to coincide with an automatic Windows Update, which requires a system restart within a day. This is how I originally discovered this issue (keyboard/touchpad not working). I don't know if this is an automatic update through a Toshiba utility or a part of the Windows Update, but either way, I wonder if the's a way to disable them?

Sir_Oponent

Estimable
May 23, 2015
On Techbastards.com is this manual, it works fine for me - although new "crashed" version of ELAN Touchpad 11.8.43.1_X64_WHQL was already installed on my laptop :)

Click the Windows key and then Click the letter R to open the run box. Click out the word REGEDIT and click enter. Navigate to this KEY:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Find UpperFilters, of the type REG_MULTI_SZ. You may have to manually create the key if it does not exist. Edit the value UpperFilters to read
kbdclass
If you find other text in this field, delete it and click out kbdclass. Click O.K. You may get a warning but accept that and move on.
To fix the mouse follow this:
Navigate the registry to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Find UpperFilters, of the type REG_MULTI_SZ. You may have to manually create the key if it does not exist. Edit the value UpperFilters to read
mouclass
If you find other text in this field, delete it and click out mouclass.
Exit the registry and reboot. This restored keyboard and mouse function to the laptop.

bruce9

Estimable
May 25, 2015
Would you please help me?

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop E45t-A4300. I noticed yesterday that my touchpad and keyboard didn't work. The USB keyboard didn't work but the USB mouse did. This thread helped me fix the problem temporarily (until I ran Windows Update), but then it recurred.

I used the on screen keyboard to unlock my computer.

I followed the Toshiba forum advice here: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboards-Touchpads-Knowledge/The-touchpad-does-not-work-properly/ta-p/422287. The function key and reinstalling the driver didn't work. Restoring to 2 days ago didn't work but restoring to the prior restore point (5/12 I think) worked. What a relief! As someone else mentioned, this problem has been occurring since 2010 so hopefully Toshiba will fix it soon!

Update: After restoring my computer, Windows needed about 42 updates. As soon as the Windows updates completed, the problem reoccurred. I don't see how to restore to an older point now. F5 didn't work and I get an error message that I need to uninstall Microsft mouse & keyboard center software. When I try to uninstall Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center I ge an error message that Setup cannot continue because one or more of the required installation files are missing or damaged.

I tried renaming the upper filters as Sir_Oponent outlines below but still get a message that there's a problem with the mouse and keyboard center software but can't uninstall it because one or more of the required installation files are missing or damaged. It says to Run Setup again from the software CD ROM or another reliable installation source, but I don't think I got a CD-ROM with this laptop, and I don't know what another reliable installation source would be.

Update 2: Eventually I got the usb keyboard working, I think by going into device manager and right clicking it and exploring what I could do from there.

Somehow I guess I uninstalled the laptop keyboard & touchpad because they no longer appeared in device manager. Then somehow I downloaded micrsoft keyboard and mouse center software and, at least for now, the laptop keyboard and touchpad as well as the usb keyboard and mouse all work! Hooray!

bubbletea

Estimable
May 25, 2015

the same thing also happened to me!but how did u reboot it though?can you help me??i'm too afraid to try to reboot.thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.