Toshiba Satellite keyboard and touchpad don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

catalyst009

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hello,

Strange problem, I wonder if any of you have come across this. I've got a friend with a Toshiba L305D-S5934. Occasionally the touchpad and keyboard become completely inoperable while the laptop is in use (a USB mouse will work, however). Oddly enough though, if you let the laptop hibernate, after it "thaws" the keyboard works again.

Laptop has been restored to a previous save, no dice. Device drivers have been replaced and reinstalled, registry has been cleaned... I'm stumped and looking to avoid completely reinstalling Vista.

Thoughts?

Solution
See if this works: Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:
1- Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.
2- Press the Power On button for 10 seconds
3- Replace battery and/or connect power cord.
4- Turn On computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly
5- Press F9 then press Enter
6- Press F10 then press Enter

Hope I helped!
Lun

Lunatasian

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
See if this works: Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:
1- Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.
2- Press the Power On button for 10 seconds
3- Replace battery and/or connect power cord.
4- Turn On computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly
5- Press F9 then press Enter
6- Press F10 then press Enter

Hope I helped!
Lun

Solution

Brandy9

Estimable
May 23, 2015

I think this is the same problem I'm having! Updated a day or two ago and no keyboard or mouse will work. Trying the usb mouse to system restore!

Sir_Oponent

Estimable
May 23, 2015
On Techbastards.com is this manual, it works fine for me - although new "crashed" version of ELAN Touchpad 11.8.43.1_X64_WHQL was already installed on my laptop :)

Click the Windows key and then Click the letter R to open the run box. Click out the word REGEDIT and click enter. Navigate to this KEY:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Find UpperFilters, of the type REG_MULTI_SZ. You may have to manually create the key if it does not exist. Edit the value UpperFilters to read
kbdclass
If you find other text in this field, delete it and click out kbdclass. Click O.K. You may get a warning but accept that and move on.
To fix the mouse follow this:
Navigate the registry to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Find UpperFilters, of the type REG_MULTI_SZ. You may have to manually create the key if it does not exist. Edit the value UpperFilters to read
mouclass
If you find other text in this field, delete it and click out mouclass.
Exit the registry and reboot. This restored keyboard and mouse function to the laptop.

Whispering Sloth

Estimable
May 23, 2015

Sir,

Thanks your advice, works like a charm!

:bounce:

Zoesquid

Estimable
May 26, 2015

Worked a treat! Thanks so much!!!!

pjbanchuin

Estimable
May 26, 2015
I have a Toshiba Satellite E45t-A4300 laptop and had keyboard and touchpad problems identical to everyone else after the recent system update. I called Toshiba customer support which provided no help so I did some Googling and ended up doing a system restore to before the update. That fixed my keyboard problem but now my laptop is having an array of troubling issues. First of all, Chrome will not open by clicking on the icon, but it will open if I right click and select 'New window'. Secondly, and most troubling, is that no Microsoft Office applications will open. Also, my F keys only work if I press the Fn key while pressing them now. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or how I can fix this? Classes start tomorrow for me and this is very concerning.

Jage-FO

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
My mother's Toshiba Satelite's keyboard suddenly stopped working. After a lot of tinkering, googleing and browsing on this page (you guys led me to it btw) I managed to fix it it.
I updated the BIOS. It had version 1.70 BIOS. You can get the newest version (v. 2.0) from Toshiba's support site: http://www.toshiba.co.jp/worldwide/region/index.html
just pick your region, input your laptop model, and get your BIOS driver.

Just make sure you don't muck it up. Not sure what a botched BIOS upgrade would do to your laptop lol

Hope it helps you guys.

Steve_165

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

scale Tech

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hi Catalyst009,

I too have a problem with a Toshiba Satellite laptop. It is a slightly different model. (L305D-S5974)

I was in the process of projecting the display onto a wide screen tv. I hit the windows option "Display from Projector only". When I did that I couldn't see the mouse anymore on the screen. Looked on the widescreen tv and no mouse either. tried a hard reboot. And like you only way the pointer will work is with an external mouse. Touch pad don't work anymore.

I tried: Scan Disk option, Repairing Driver, Reinstalling Driver, Restore point also, Device hardware restore under F8 Diagnostic Tools and finally factory restore since I had no data i cared about. After it restored to factory out of box. Touch pad still didn't work. So I'm in the same boot now. Still looking for a solution. Berly started today 7/3/2012. I have Windows 7 though.

Did you ever find a solution to the mouse pad issue? Noticed you voiced your complaint in 2010.

Michael

jimk100189

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Experiencing the same thing with my A505 Satellite. Randomly, the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive, but then start working again, for no reason (no changes to system)

Mikemxxxm

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I have the same problem. Thanks for the posts, is reassuring to hear it that it's a real problem.
My Satilite S0t-A is brand new, like weeks old. I too have little data so its going right back to the manufacturer under the warranty.
Solutions are all very well and I plan to try the ones suggested but at the end of the day, a device should be fit for purpose.

Mike

Sam Ahmad

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

Chandra Vadhana

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
May be accidently you pressed FN+F9 keys. This will disable the whole buit-in keypad and left and right button. Again press the FN+F9 key.. this will enable the touch pad..
If this successfull just mail to me @ [email removed] with a minimum content "Thanks"

Status
Not open for further replies.