Toshiba Satellite keyboard and touchpad don't work

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catalyst009

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hello,

Strange problem, I wonder if any of you have come across this. I've got a friend with a Toshiba L305D-S5934. Occasionally the touchpad and keyboard become completely inoperable while the laptop is in use (a USB mouse will work, however). Oddly enough though, if you let the laptop hibernate, after it "thaws" the keyboard works again.

Laptop has been restored to a previous save, no dice. Device drivers have been replaced and reinstalled, registry has been cleaned... I'm stumped and looking to avoid completely reinstalling Vista.

Thoughts?

Solution
See if this works: Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:
1- Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.
2- Press the Power On button for 10 seconds
3- Replace battery and/or connect power cord.
4- Turn On computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly
5- Press F9 then press Enter
6- Press F10 then press Enter

Hope I helped!
Lun

Apop

Estimable
May 29, 2015
Hey guys so after trying everything: uninstalling the mouse and keyboard drivers then updating device drivers, doing every single update, removing every update by hand, pressing all the f5 and f9 key combinations, and editing the registry (which seemed to work for others but not for me), I finally went into search and typed restore and clicked on Create a restore point, then click system restore, then I chose a different restore point previous to the update issues (I chose 5/25 restore point, but choose accordingly) then I completed the restore steps and let the computer do its thing. Once the computer came back on my mouse and keyboard fully functioned. I then went into the Windows Update-change settings- and changed it to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" and only have the recommended updates box checked (this way I have control over what gets updated). I restarted my computer to make sure everything stayed and it was all good. I hope this helps!

justabystandered

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
I have dealt with the same all day yesterday and then some. i figured out in one hour that this was not solvable by uninstalling device not about a virus and not about the hardware... rather it was a glitch with windows update. i spent the next 8 hours or so convincing microsoft tech support of this likely hood. along the way i found toshiba and microsoft have been getting similar calls, microsoft tried to convince me this forum was filled with deleterious competitors giving them a bad name... and i was cajoled into paying microsoft $200 dollars for their phone support which took me 4 hours to get my consultant to discover from her superiors that i wasn't the only one with this problem. Meanwhile i still have borderline carpal tunnel syndrome from typing this on my onscreen keyboard. helllllp!

I tried reg edit and even that didn't help.

The tech rep restored and lost all my past restore points. They are sending me an onsite tech but i am now very wary of microsoft. a refresh is very deteremental to me as i will lose programs that will take a long time to get back

am i being overly critical of Microsoft?

..... As an update I finallt got sir oponent's solution to work! Thank you so much!

joelmicha

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015

This solution worked for mine. Will this stand or will another update end up setting this back again?

Jun 10, 2015

veedelaisla

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
I have the same laptop mentioned below. Satellite E55-A5114 with Windows 8.1 and I've tried this. Still not working :(

manatu7

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015
Uninstalling Fast Startup fixed my non working keyboard on laptop ( straight after Win 8.1 upgrade...:( )
Follow these steps.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-fast-startup-windows-8-disable-it/

cheers

Yetta

Estimable
Jul 1, 2015

Yetta

Estimable
Jul 1, 2015
To fix my TOUCH PAD inactive problem, I just pressed on the touch pad inactive/active key that is located on the top row of keys right next to the "rewind"/ play/fast forward buttons (sixth from the left after escape key)
I must have accidentally hit it and never even knew what it was for!
Hope it helps!

Jage-FO

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
My mother's Toshiba Satelite's keyboard suddenly stopped working. After a lot of tinkering, googleing and browsing on this page (you guys led me to it btw) I managed to fix it it.
I updated the BIOS. It had version 1.70 BIOS. You can get the newest version (v. 2.0) from Toshiba's support site: http://www.toshiba.co.jp/worldwide/region/index.html
just pick your region, input your laptop model, and get your BIOS driver.

Just make sure you don't muck it up. Not sure what a botched BIOS upgrade would do to your laptop lol

Hope it helps you guys.

toddicusmaximus

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
Lun, thank you for your post. Your solution worked for me, too. Someone should buy you a beer, a coffee, a cake or whatever. I am confident that your good deeds will come back to you tenfold :)

Sakafi

Estimable
Aug 29, 2015

Jerry2209910

Estimable
Oct 10, 2015

On my Satellite L875D-s7332, it is the F5 key. It worked for me. Thanks.

Shawk33

Estimable
Oct 22, 2015
I had a problem where my touchpad only worked in the log in screen and worked for about a minute after logging in then stops working until i go back to the log in screen. This happened right after i downloaded windows 8.1 from my new windows 8 installed laptop. The bigger problem- i was unable to refresh, reset or go back in time on my computer no matter what technique i tried (always got an error message and it would not work, i was even unable to install windows updates). After many weeks of geeksquad and toshiba trying to convince me it was the f5 key (clearly it was not after trying about half a million times) I was finally able to get a new copy of 8.1 and put it on a dvd and completely reinstalled from that. After the reinstallation everything works like it was brand new.. hopefully this helps.

Loanie

Estimable
Nov 23, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.