TravelMate B113 - Gray vertical lines on boot up

Andy117

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
Hi,
I was unable to figure out what's wrong with this laptop - any help would be really appreciated :).

Immediately after pressing power button the screen displays only random gray vertical lines. This stays there for few seconds and after that correctly continues booting Windows.

This doesn't happen however on restart. Laptop has to be turned off for at least 3 minutes for this problem to happen.

Later I figured that it's worse when battery is in. I took out the battery (thinking that's the root of the problem) but problem still persists. Now the laptop has to be turned off longer for the problem to happen on booting.

The most serious is that it happened once while browsing internet. The laptop wasn't doing anything special - but suddenly the screen started to fade gray. After few seconds there were gray lines only.

About laptop:
- laptop was working fine for more than 2 years (so it's no longer under warranty)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Try this... turn off the laptop and connect an external monitor. Turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then the problem lies in the attached display. If that is the case you would need to check the ribbon cable that connects the display and make sure it isn't damage, loose, bent, torn, pinched, etc. If it isn't, then the display itself may be the problem.

If you get the problem on the external display as well, then your graphics card/GPU (and possibly your motherboard) will need replacing.
Try this... turn off the laptop and connect an external monitor. Turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then the problem lies in the attached display. If that is the case you would need to check the ribbon cable that connects the display and make sure it isn't damage, loose, bent, torn, pinched, etc. If it isn't, then the display itself may be the problem.

If you get the problem on the external display as well, then your graphics card/GPU (and possibly your motherboard) will need replacing.

Solution