TV digital audio out (optical) to 3.5 mm green/black/orange jack using Tritton decoder boxes

gavsiu

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to connect my 10 year old PC 5.1 surround sound Logitech speakers to my new Samsung TV using the optical out. I have no other use for the speakers and they're just sitting there.

I don't have the space for a receiver and the only space available is enclosed in a closet and I worry about it overheating.

Long story short, I found out that some surround sound headphones, specifically Tritton gaming headphones come with decoder boxes that have optical in and 3.5 mm analog out (front/center/back), which is exactly what I needed.

The question is will this work? I found similar standalone products like the Sewell SoundBox (and the same device under different brands), but found out that they only work when connected to a PC.

Also, are there other brands that have decoder boxes? I looked at Razer and Creative gaming headphones and it doesn't seem like they do, at least not like the Tritton AX360 or PRO+ 5.1.

I'm mostly trying to find the decoder box from the headphones on eBay.

gavsiu

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2012/10/mad-catz-tritton-pro-5-1-headset-review/tritton-pro-plus-4-300x292.jpg

My speakers have the three green/black/orange cables. Maybe I worded the title wrong.

Also, I just noticed the decoder box only supports Dolby Digital and most 1080p movies are encoded with DTS. I'm guessing this won't work if the signal is DTS and the decoder box only uses Dolby Digital?

Any other solutions?