TV "File not supported" from media player

Derek Marsh

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015
I have looked all over and can not find it, but here's what's up.
I just bought an Fantom external USB HDD and a TP-Link N600 router.
I setup the network, connected the HDD to the router and the computers and TV see the drive.
I can stream the videos to the laptops but when I open the folder on the TV, not all are shown and the ones that are, the TV says that the files are not supported.
The TV will play the videos from the laptop HD though, as usual.
Also tried playing the videos from the drive through the laptop to the TV and the laptop's media player says " Failed to initialize playlist"

Sorry, the TV is a Samsung Smart TV LN46C650

Any help will be great because it is driving me crazy and defeating the purpose of my purchase.

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, Derek!

I suspect file system compatibility issue. What you can do is check the file systems that the TV and the router support and make sure you re-format that external HDD with a file system that is supported by all the devices.
I'd also suggest to check if you have the latest firmware update on the router. You should be able to see this on the manufacturer's website.

Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Derek Marsh

Estimable
Mar 5, 2015

Double checked the TV specs and it support all my videos, that and they play from my computer HDD.
I ended up unplugging the new drive from the router and plugged it into the TV and I it shows and plays all the videos. So the problem it stemming from the router. When I first setup the router I updated the firmware also.
So again, I am at a loss

UPDATE:
Just got off phone with TP-Link customer service, couldn't really understand the lady but what she told me was that she can not help me with my problem because they don't have help info for media sharing to TVs only to computers.
So if I can not find a solution to this I will be returning the router and probably the drive as well.

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Hi again, Derek!

I don't think the problem is in the HDD at all. I'd suggest you to check your router's manual and see if there are any limitations for external storage. You could give it a try one more time following these steps as well:
http://techchannel.radioshack.com/connect-usb-external-hard-drive-wireless-router-1602.html

Good luck! I hope I was helpful! :)
SuperSoph_WD