Unlocking AthlonXP for multiprocessing

G

Is there possibility to unlock XP and create an MP processor ?

From what I've heard, MP has multipier unlocked, but I've never seen one in real life.

Is anybody working on this problem ?

regards
Darko

FatBurger

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Using the XP in an SMP situation has nothing to do with a locked or unlocked processor.

XPs have the potential to work MP, but they are not supported, so if it doesn't work, you're screwed :)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

I know it's got the potential, but what makes it diferent from MP then ?

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
From what I have read on various hardware sites, the XP actually has the SMP functions disabled in the hardware. Now, I have also read many posts from users claiming to have working SMP systems using the XP processor. I don't know who is right, or if both are right.

If I was building an AMD multi-processor system, I would do it the right way and get the MP processor to begin with.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

Yahiko81

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2001
Don't forget that when the XP's were first released they had SMP enabled. It was later that AMD decided to disable it. So maybe the early chips work in SMP and the later one's don't have a snowballs chance.

Bees are on the what now?