URGENT: How to store videos etc... on sd internal storage MOTO 4E

westman407

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
I am leaving in 4 days for a cruise. I have a new Moto 4E. The phone is16gb by itself. I bought a nice memory card (64gb) I put it in. I formatted the memory card internal storage instead of portable. My plan is to use the phone as a camera and shoot some videos. I am able to move apps onto the card. When I test shooting video, it stores it local instead of internal. I get the notice I am running out of storage when I try it out. Any ideas on how to make the videos, pictures and music onto the "internal storage" instead of the local storage. It is nougat 7.1. Please help

Solution
You have to go into the individual app that you are creating or downloading the file in/through and set it to save them to the card.

To be honest, setting it as "Internal" storage was not needed for this, and that may be what is confusing the phone. You only need to do that to move and run apps from the card. So for saving video or photos it would have been better to leave the card as "External" storage.

Two other things. One, video can take up a serious amount of space. Way more than one thinks. So having turned the card into "Internal" storage can also be a curse, since that card will only be readable by that device, and only if the device is as it is now. If you tried to "Hard Reset" the device at any point, everything on that...
You have to go into the individual app that you are creating or downloading the file in/through and set it to save them to the card.

To be honest, setting it as "Internal" storage was not needed for this, and that may be what is confusing the phone. You only need to do that to move and run apps from the card. So for saving video or photos it would have been better to leave the card as "External" storage.

Two other things. One, video can take up a serious amount of space. Way more than one thinks. So having turned the card into "Internal" storage can also be a curse, since that card will only be readable by that device, and only if the device is as it is now. If you tried to "Hard Reset" the device at any point, everything on that card would be lost.

Two, you won't be able to swap out SD cards like you can with them being their standard "External". Once that card was encoded to the device, now you either won't be able to encode another card, or you will be able to but then lose access to the original card.

So, in any case, if you can run your apps fine off the phone's original storage, I would suggest that and leave the card as "External" storage. Then set up the apps (like camera) to save to the card.

Solution

westman407

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
Thank you. I tried that and it works. I shot some video and tested it and it all sorted to external. Thank you So Much! Now, one less thing to work about. Thank you again. ,
Steve