baguscahyono

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
I convert my internal WD hard drive from my old laptop to external hard drive. I already format it writing speed really good about 30MB/s but read really slow about 2MB/s and im using USB 3 on Macbook air 2013.

Already try in my friends laptop but still read speed is really slow.
I already try to format it again using zero out data from my Macbook air.
Im sure its USB3 because im using Macbook Air 2013.
My hard drive is WD Scorpio Blue 250GB.

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, baguscahyono!

This is a rather old drive that you have, I'd suggest you to run Data LifeGuard Diagnostics (The QUICK and the EXTENDED TESTS) and see what's the situation with the HDD's health and S.M.A.R.T. status. You'd need a Windows computer for that one, though. Here's a link to the utility: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=3Y8FVl
Another thing I'd try is to Repair Disk from the Disk Utility on your Mac.
What about the WD Scorpio Blue's performance plugged via SATA? Have you tried it? I'd suggest to do so, and see if there will be any improvement on the read speed.

Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, baguscahyono!

This is a rather old drive that you have, I'd suggest you to run Data LifeGuard Diagnostics (The QUICK and the EXTENDED TESTS) and see what's the situation with the HDD's health and S.M.A.R.T. status. You'd need a Windows computer for that one, though. Here's a link to the utility: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=3Y8FVl
Another thing I'd try is to Repair Disk from the Disk Utility on your Mac.
What about the WD Scorpio Blue's performance plugged via SATA? Have you tried it? I'd suggest to do so, and see if there will be any improvement on the read speed.

Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

baguscahyono

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

Thanks for the answer.
But i try to repartition my WD with HFS+ or Mac Journaled partition and its work properly again.
But it came with a new problem sometimes my external WD not detected. Can you help me again?
or should i create new question thread?

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Yes, I'll do my best to help you now. When does this happen? Is it randomly?
I'd recommend keeping a backup of the data from that drive somewhere else as well, just to be safe.
When your Mac seems to not recognize the drive, does it show in Disk Utility?
I'd suggest trying different USB ports on the Mac.
My last question would be: What OS X version do you use? Have you had any recent software updates?

SuperSoph_WD

baguscahyono

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

Yes its happen randomly but mostly not detected.

in case detected :
When i plug my external hard disk its spinning and the light indicator is on.
And view second later its still spinning and light indicator start blinking.

in case not detected :
When i plug my external hard disk its spinning and the light indicator is on.
And view second later its still spinning but light indicator goes off.
its not detected by Disk Utility but i check System Information / System Profiler its detected.

i already try both USB port with no luck.
My OSX Version is Yosemite 10.10.2 and i always update my mac.

Thank for your support :)

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

It sounds like a power issue to me. Do you have a spare USB cable lying around somewhere? I'd suggest to find one and try plugging the WD drive with it instead. I think your current USB cable might be faulty and swapping it with another one might fix the issue.

Let me know how it goes! :)
SuperSoph_WD