KillerGamer

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I am looking for a mid-level gaming PC with my main needs being gaming, video and photo editing etc. I am inclined towards Intel and I'm confused between the core i5 and i7. Also, which generation would be the sensible choice for me? Also, I may get into overclocking so please suggests the ones which are unlocked. Also, does overclocking void your warranty? Thanks everyone!

Solution
It really does depend on your budget and what you plan to do on the PC. If it's primarily gaming then Intel is the best way to go since most games only support 2-4 cores and even on games that do support 4+ cores Intel still edges out because of better per-core performance.

Budget wise, if you plan on doing a lot of video/photo editing then the 4770k or 8350 will both do great with the 8350 obviously being the better choice if your budget is around $850. If you are willing to spend more I would definitely recommend the 4770k.

If you don't plan on doing very much photo/video editing at all then I would get the 4670k (i5, 4 cores) because the i7 really doesn't provide much improvement over the i5 in games.

Also if you get a processor...

taz0697

Honorable
May 19, 2013
well it depends on you budget intel i5 is problably gonna be all you need as you wont notice a difference between an i5 and a i7 in gaming. but if your on a ight budget the amd fx- sieries is a good bang for the buck.

4th gen intel cpus are good but kinda oc limited(they get too hot) plus they are gonna change the mobo for the 1150 socket for next year so upgradeability goes out the window. Amd's fm2+ socket will last a little while but for now you wont get as much performance.

Anything with a k at the end and all if the fx series is unlocked so you can oc. And yes ocing can void waranty

KillerGamer

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

I have heard that Radeons/AMDs have a reputation for bad reliability? Is that true? Thanks for your answer...

ddub

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
It really does depend on your budget and what you plan to do on the PC. If it's primarily gaming then Intel is the best way to go since most games only support 2-4 cores and even on games that do support 4+ cores Intel still edges out because of better per-core performance.

Budget wise, if you plan on doing a lot of video/photo editing then the 4770k or 8350 will both do great with the 8350 obviously being the better choice if your budget is around $850. If you are willing to spend more I would definitely recommend the 4770k.

If you don't plan on doing very much photo/video editing at all then I would get the 4670k (i5, 4 cores) because the i7 really doesn't provide much improvement over the i5 in games.

Also if you get a processor with a 'k' at the end then that means they expect you to use it to overclock so get an aftermarket cooler and a motherboard with decent overclock support. You can just check out the reviews on newegg to make sure it overclocks well.

Solution