Which of these TV's would you choose? Which one is better?

Alejolas

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hello all!

Recently my brother decided to move out to a new location and all his family and start from 0. They have 3 tv's on their house and he told me to pick one up for me. As you may know I want the best BUT I don't know which one is better. So I ask your help, for me its very important to connect my PC my bluray and my Directv over HDMI.

The first one is a SONY Bravia KDL-XBR4. Complete specifications can be found here http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-bravia-kdl-40xbr4/specs/ , I'm sorry but I don't understand a thing that is stated there.

The second one is a Panasonic 42" Class Viera U12 Series LCD Model number: TC-L42U12X... I think the specifications are here: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L42U12?t=specs&support#tabs

The third one is a Panasonic 42”/50” Class 720p Plasma HDTV model number: TC-P42XT50... I couldn't find any tech specifications for this one but I found the owners manual here: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP42XT50.PDF

So the best I could figure out (I'm really bad at technology and stuff) is the following:
The Sony is the oldest but has 3 HDMI connectors BUT is 40" the others are 42".
The Panasonic LCD is from 2010 and has 3 HDMI connectors.
The Panasonic plasma is the newest but has only 2 HDMI connectors but one of them is damaged/burnt so actually only one HDMI connector but has other good things.

What do you think? Which one should I choose?

Thank you!!

Solution
You may be able to adjust your colors on either set to suit your needs.

Some users prefer a darker TV(this clearly depends on the lighting in the room that the TV is used), so it may have been set that way.

Chances are you can tell if the other TV uses leds for a light source by running it for an hour and then touching the back top vents. If it is hot. CFL. If it is cool or just slightly warm, chances are it is an LED model.

Again, LED's are just a backlight and unlike what TV makers try to say, they do not make the image sharper or more colorful(they do have some good led's, but full gamut CFL was more than upto the color job.). They do not even effect static contrast either.

Either way, testing is great because you will get to...

nukemaster

Distinguished
The resolution of the plasma is a downside for sure, but its fast response may be nice for some users.

With the other 2. The Sony has the older CFL lighting, so it may not run as long(but I bet it has better color while it runs). I do not like that the Panasonic 42" does not list its back light or static contrast. The power consumption would lead me to guess it may be an LED backlit model(average at 140 ish), while depending on the backlight design you may loose sole color quality everything is now optimized to be used in a SRBG environment anyway.

I would connect your computer to them and see for your self since every user will have a different requirement.

Alejolas

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

Thanks! So you think I should stay with the Panasonic 42" LCD?

nukemaster

Distinguished
You may be able to adjust your colors on either set to suit your needs.

Some users prefer a darker TV(this clearly depends on the lighting in the room that the TV is used), so it may have been set that way.

Chances are you can tell if the other TV uses leds for a light source by running it for an hour and then touching the back top vents. If it is hot. CFL. If it is cool or just slightly warm, chances are it is an LED model.

Again, LED's are just a backlight and unlike what TV makers try to say, they do not make the image sharper or more colorful(they do have some good led's, but full gamut CFL was more than upto the color job.). They do not even effect static contrast either.

Either way, testing is great because you will get to see what looks the best to you. Also it never hurts to toss on some SD videos from a DVD player to see how the TV's deal with SD interlaced content(assuming you come across any SD in your watching).

Solution