Solved! Why does my cable work with a comcast box?

johnindelaware

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hello, i have free cable through a bulk account. (i live in a mobile home and free cable is included with my rent. well only channels 1 to 19) my friend brought her comcast box over my house and we plugged it in and all of a sudden i had all the channels. does that mean i just have to go out and buy one of those digital converter boxes? or did my cable just get tricked into thinking that i paid for all of the channels?

Solution
My guess would be the entire complex is wired from a central location and the filter that's normally in place at each location is set up there instead. It's also set up to make all the channels you saw available should someone install a cable box (rented from Comcast, of course). That way, Comcast saves money because they don't need to contract a technician to do the wiring/filter installation. You can just pick up and install a cable box (from them) and your set.

Since the box your friend brought over was probably already activated and recognized by your local Comcast office, it decrypted the channels for you (this is assuming you are a Comcast customer). However, you should note that a digital converter box is NOT a Comcast cable...
My guess would be the entire complex is wired from a central location and the filter that's normally in place at each location is set up there instead. It's also set up to make all the channels you saw available should someone install a cable box (rented from Comcast, of course). That way, Comcast saves money because they don't need to contract a technician to do the wiring/filter installation. You can just pick up and install a cable box (from them) and your set.

Since the box your friend brought over was probably already activated and recognized by your local Comcast office, it decrypted the channels for you (this is assuming you are a Comcast customer). However, you should note that a digital converter box is NOT a Comcast cable box. It will convert the digital channels to analog, but won't unscramble any channels (only a Comcast activated cable box will do this). So no, buying a converter box won't do you any good.

-Wolf sends

Solution

christiner

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

I have "free" cable as well...but only because Comcast neglected to climb the pole when I had to cancel and brought their box back. Obviously, I cannot get a DTA from Comcast. I could rent one from a friend who has a legit account, but from what I understand even if the friend were to register it first it will not work at my home once moved. (True?) Is there anything I can do buy to get my basic (digital) channels back? I'm assuming they are encrypted. I've tried a DVR with QAM receiver, to no avail. All I got were the OTA digital channels and 1 or 2 others (Weather & Travel), all of which I assume are unencrypted.

Is there a difference between QAM and "Clear-QAM"?? Is there ANYTHING else I can try? I don't care if I have to buy a new TV. I just can't afford to pay $70 per month for the 8 channels I want to watch.