Will my gpu bottleneck?

Aug 26, 2018
So I just bought pieces to build my first gaming pc. When deciding on a graphics card I decided to go big. After looking around I found a gigabyte aorus geforce gtx 1080 ti extreme edition 11gb for a fairly reasonable price. How ever, after binding myself to the purchase I realised that the rest of my pc might bottleneck the gpu. Is this gonna be a giant problem or is it fine. And in the worst case scenario is there any way to limit the bottleneck?

Current rig:
Intel core i5-8600k
Cryorig H7
Msi z370 gaming plus
1tb hybrid hard drive
2x8gb g.skill 3000 ddr4 memory
Corsair cx650m psu
Corsair carbide spec-05
Thank you

Solution
i agree with profoundnoah. It comes down to the lowest common denominator. e.g SSD, ram speed, CPU v GPU, monitor etc.

In your case, for gaming, you have no bottleneck at all. The 8600k can push the 1080ti to it's max. The only CPU that can push just a frame or to more is the 8700k. and even at that it's so marginal, it's of no consequence.

Sure having an SSD will have an impact on load times in game, but it has no bearing on actual game play. At the point where you're gaming, everything is loaded into your fast system ram, CPU cache, and GPU vram and framebuffer. At that stage there is no bottleneck other than if your monitor can keep up with the blazing fast FPS the GPU is pumping out.

Good luck :) Happy gaming :)

profoundnoah

Estimable
May 12, 2015
Any reason to even go for the 1080 Ti? What are the specs of your monitor, and what games will you be playing? A 1070 is fine for most users in many cases. But to answer your question, there's ALWAYS going to be a bottleneck in a PC system. Whether it be the R/W speeds of an SSD, the bandwidth of a transfer interface, your monitor's refresh rate, your motherboard's OC'ing potential, your cooling, etc. there's always going to be SOMETHING that's slowing your system down. In your case, the 8600k should run perfectly fine with a 1080 Ti.

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
i agree with profoundnoah. It comes down to the lowest common denominator. e.g SSD, ram speed, CPU v GPU, monitor etc.

In your case, for gaming, you have no bottleneck at all. The 8600k can push the 1080ti to it's max. The only CPU that can push just a frame or to more is the 8700k. and even at that it's so marginal, it's of no consequence.

Sure having an SSD will have an impact on load times in game, but it has no bearing on actual game play. At the point where you're gaming, everything is loaded into your fast system ram, CPU cache, and GPU vram and framebuffer. At that stage there is no bottleneck other than if your monitor can keep up with the blazing fast FPS the GPU is pumping out.

Good luck :) Happy gaming :)

Solution
Aug 26, 2018

geofelt

Distinguished
I think you did well.
8600K can run a GTX1080ti just fine, and your 650w psu has enough power to power the card.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Aug 26, 2018
So there shouldn't be any major problems with the build?

Any chance that overclocking the cpu will serve to lower the limiting factor as geofelt put it so nicely?

geofelt

Distinguished

Overclocking the 8600K can only help performance.
If your limitation is the cpu like in sims, mmo or strategy games it will be a nice boost.
If your games are fast action shooters it is that Graphics card that is usually the limiter.

As of now, 8600K with an overclock and a GTX1080ti are as good as it gets for gaming.

Aug 26, 2018

Would the memory/ram drag it down? Most builds I have seen feature more

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

no, 16gbs is plenty for gaming and most multitasking. 8gbs used to be the sweet-spot, but now it's 16gbs for gaming. As I mentioned. recommended ram for most new games will be 16gbs.

geofelt

Distinguished

16gb is fine.
Most games actually use less than 4gb.
A need for more than 8gb comes into play when you are multitasking while gaming.
It is highly unlikely that more than 16gb would benefit you.

And... adding another 16gb is not 100% guaranteed to work.

TRENDING THREADS