Status
Not open for further replies.

terry4536

Distinguished
Herald
Mar 28, 2010
Hi,
My question concerns browsers. I currently have IE8 / Windows. I would like to try Chrome or Firefox. How do I try these browsers without corrupting the “Microsoft” Windows installation? What are the ramifications?

Solution
Nothing bad will happen. You can install and uninstall either browser if you don't like it without messing anything up. They will work alongside Internet Explorer, not replace it. I run IE 9, Chrome 11, Firefox 4, and Opera 11 portable edition all at the same time without a problem.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Nothing bad will happen. You can install and uninstall either browser if you don't like it without messing anything up. They will work alongside Internet Explorer, not replace it. I run IE 9, Chrome 11, Firefox 4, and Opera 11 portable edition all at the same time without a problem.

Solution

terry4536

Distinguished
Herald
Mar 28, 2010

Hi,
The PC in question has Windows XP SP3. It is an updated, old system that just keeps going. The funds for a new build keeps getting diverted.

Nakkiel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

Yes you are, firefox is amazing. And I tried chrome for a bit.. its not really any lighter on memory.. and I think firefox 4.0 is just as fast..

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

I agree that Firefox 4.0 is amazing. I think that Chrome is faster out of the box, but once Adblock Plus and Fasterfox Lite are added to Firefox, it "feels" faster than any other browser to me.

Nakkiel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

IE is up to 9, and at least for me the startup time is much faster on ie9, but I do have that cache writing on the ssd since ireally dont use it, whereas firefox is cache writing on my secondary. Also firefox is much more customizable.

terry4536

Distinguished
Herald
Mar 28, 2010

IE9 isn't compatible with my operating system. I am not comfortable with all of Firefox's features yet. But it's speed is very welcome. Sites like Tom's Hardware have these infuriating animated advertisements, IE8 would bog down when the ads would update. Firefox 4 doesn't have this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.