Yoga 13 battery defect?

monocycliste

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hi,

I recently purchased a Lenovo Yoga 13. I have been using it over the past few days and I noticed the battery level goes down A LOT when it's in sleep mode. Yesterday it went from 98% to 78% in 3-4 hours when the lid was closed.

Closing the lid put it in sleep mode automatically. Is it a battery defect, or do you think something is turned while in sleep mode making it loose so much battery?

I have the yoga 13 with this model number: 59359567

Specs:
Intel Core i5-3337U ULV
4GB-DDR3L
128GB SSD
13.3LED HD+ IPS 10pt Touch
Windows 8

Thank you!

monocycliste

Honorable
May 29, 2012
For sure it will loose battery, but it will only loose a minimal amount over a few hours when there is no application running. 20% of battery in 4-5 hours of sleep is enormous for a brand new laptop with a ~7h battery (read 5-6h).

I reset to factory setting + removed blue tooth from the settings. It's been 6 hours now and I've used my laptop a few times for a few minutes and the battery is a 94%. I have not used it since 8pm and it's 10h20pm right now and the battery level was at 94% at 8pm and still is at 94% now.

Maybe something was wrong with the computer before I put it back to factory setting, but that would be surprising, most probably the blue tooth draining the battery. I have not installed any other apps or made updates on the laptop though. I will install stuff and update the laptop tomorrow and see if it still keeps it's charge or if it goes back to losing it in now time in sleep mode.

Thank for the lifehacker article though, it was very nice and I ended up on some other nice pages/articles!

monocycliste

Honorable
May 29, 2012
First thing I did when I got it haha. But I haven't done it since I reset it to factory settings, I just reset it used it for a little and put it to sleep to check if the battery would drain. (It's stil lat 94%) :)

We'll see tomorrow how it goes when I play with it a little bit.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Umm, so when your batery was draining you had no bloatware of lenovo and now that you did a factory reset you had all the bloatware back?

My point is maybe theres a program that control de power saving settings from lenovo.

monocycliste

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Yes. I didn't format + re install windows myself, I did "Removing everything and reinstall Windows" in the PC setting of Windows 8, so there's all the software that comes with the computer and stuff.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

yeah its this : Lenovo Energy Management for 64-bit Windows , you shouldnt remove that program, it manages the energy when you close the lid or hibernate the laptop. If you remove it you might be back at the Big drains of battery.

monocycliste

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I had not removed that. Well now it seem to be fine, except at some point today it went from 95% to 88% in maybe 10 minutes of web browsing. Other than that I've used it for the past 4-5 hours (on and off) and it's at 40%.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

Some wake on Lan option? maybe the laptop conected to internet and woke up

monocycliste

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I don't know. When it's asleep it seems to be fine now, but the battery is acting weird sometimes, but not all the time.

I just browsed for maximum 5 minutes in my computer with the screen dimmed down to maybe 1/4 of the full brightness and it went from 100% to 96% in less than 5 minutes.

Yesterday it went from 98% to 78% in about 20 minutes of web browsing, but then I also used it on and off for 5-6 hours and only lost 30-40% of the battery.

EDIT:One minute later it's a 95%.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Well this user : http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/695467-lenovo-ideapad-yoga-13-user-review.html says that he can get 6 hours on the battery, it also says that theres no replacement for the battery because its inside of the laptop, and theres not an upgrade either. I dont like how that sounds. When did you bought the laptop and if i were you i would totally Send the laptop back and ask for another model. Whats happening to you its totally wrong. You shouldnt loose 1% of battery life every minute.

monocycliste

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I will send it back to Amazon for a replacement. I have a friend that has the exact same model as me and she's pleased with the battery I asked her questions and it's really different from my experience.

I know that the battery is non replaceable but I'm only going for a 3 or 4 years at the most life span for this notebook. I also have a 8gb RAM stick (1.35v rather than 1.5v) but I will wait before getting replacement before putting it in.