Hamda

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
hello,
i have a logitech z906 system but im thinking of selling it and get m-audio/ mackie / jbl... studio monitors. i use the z906 as a 2.1 channel only 2 speakers with the subwoofer on my gaming pc desk cz i dont need the extra channels on the desk. so, should i just keep the z906 at 2.1, or sell it and get 2.0 ch studio grade monitors? i mainly use it for gaming and music, and i have a built in 7.1 channel sound blaster sound card (msi z87-g45 mobo).
oh i forgot.. i want to add a subwoofer in the future.

Solution
You don't need a new soundcard. The onboard sound on you motherboard is quite good. The ALC 1150 soundchip is good, the components are of high quality, its shielded and isolated from the rest of the hardware and it got a headphone amplifier. I have a simliliar quality board and I drive a similiar higher quality speaker setup with it.

My motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6
My speakers: Edifier S760D

I use these speakers and the board for music, gaming and movies. The difference with a better soundcard would be negligible, but better dac or speakers makes a big difference. So, with this mainboard you got, I would not buy a new soundcard, unless you really need or want one and have a good reason for. And if you don't believe me, here a...

Hamda

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

the integrated sound card worth like a 60$ one

captaincharisma

Distinguished

i'm sorry i do not undstand what you are asking,

if you are looking for good sound you would be better off looking into getting a dedicated sound card like an asus xonar or one of the newer creative sound cards. even if you are just using 2 speakers with a sub you will hear a big difference.

Hamda

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

what sound card do u recommend?
thats my built in sound card
link: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G45-GAMING.html#hero-overview

and someone in tomshardware wrote an answer about my built in souncard :
"* Your MSI Z87-G45 GAMING mobo on-board sound card is SBX Sound Blaster Cinema with Pro Studio technology and AUDIO BOOST technology with 600Ω Headphone amplifier that EQUAL to $80 sound card price range.

For you mikeyg77156, If you really wanna enjoy with games and movies get ASUS Xonar DX or Creative Soundblaster Z/Zx/Zxr WITH HIGH quality speakers otherwise you will not get the benefit of that sound card"

so.. should i get those studio monitors with a soundblaster z or something, or use the built in one?

captaincharisma

Distinguished

if you have the money then go for both. but if you're on a budget get a new soundcard first and see how the speakers sound with it.

Hamda

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

mmmm, but should the studio monitors sounds more good than the logitech z906 on the built in sound card?

turbopixel

Estimable
May 18, 2015
You don't need a new soundcard. The onboard sound on you motherboard is quite good. The ALC 1150 soundchip is good, the components are of high quality, its shielded and isolated from the rest of the hardware and it got a headphone amplifier. I have a simliliar quality board and I drive a similiar higher quality speaker setup with it.

My motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6
My speakers: Edifier S760D

I use these speakers and the board for music, gaming and movies. The difference with a better soundcard would be negligible, but better dac or speakers makes a big difference. So, with this mainboard you got, I would not buy a new soundcard, unless you really need or want one and have a good reason for. And if you don't believe me, here a link:

"
Today we even demonstrated that a $2 codec is sufficient for driving some of the most expensive headphones in the world.
"
> http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/high-end-pc-audio,review-32894-19.html

Edit: DAC
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

Solution