breaker9320

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Hello ladies and gents.
So lately I've been thinking of getting a Smart TV for myself which I will mostly use to watch Netflix and other stuff from my USB Stick.
Now, I have been looking for the past couple of days around the internet and noticed that Smart TV's have a problem playing different video formats from USB.
And so I have reached the conclusion that I need some help regarding what TV to get...I will mostly be playing .avi and .mkv files from my USB.
If anyone could provide a couple of recommendations I would be most grateful.
Noticed that apparently Samsung supports .mkv video formats but not sure...so I don't wanna jump to conclusions just yet.

Looking for anything from 40" to 49". LED or LCD, any of these work. As long as it is a Smart TV which also has a USB port it does not matter what brand it is. My budget stops at just 400 pounds.

Solution
The PS4 can play movies plugged into it, can play netflix.

My point is that, don't buy a TV for it's "smart" features. Half of them are limited, already dead in the water, etc. Granted it is harder to buy a large 65"+ without any smart features, but don't let it be the deciding factor. Any 20$ android box can do it all, a $20 chromecast and a PC can do lots, your PC hooked up to it, etc, etc.
OR Ditch the smart TV and get a android box, mini windows pc, chromecast, roku, any of the devices that will probably give you more run for your money. Problem with smart TV's too is they end up a dead platform quickly and you get no updates, no newer software, etc.

breaker9320

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Well I am looking at a Smart TV because I want a big screen to watch my movies on honestly while it's still friendly for my girlfriends PS4 games and the sports channels. Well tbh it doesn't have to be a SMART Tv as long as it's got an USB port within it.

OR a good TV with a DisplayPort could also do I guess.

USAFRet

Illustrious

'Big' not not automatically require 'smart'. However, that is increasingly hard to find.
Recommendations? I've had bad luck with Vizio, so...

Just look in the specs for whatever video types it takes.
But all videos are easily convertible to another format.

breaker9320

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Well since thats the case a new idea just hit me.
Would you guys recommend getting a normal TV with an HDMI connection on it and use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to directly view movies from my computer?
I want to do it that way because I got a GTX 980 atm which has 1x Hdmi ports and 2x Displayports. The HDMI port is connected to my monitor and would be quite annoying to go down on my computer every single time I want to see a movie. So just gonna use the displayport on my video card while the hdmi is still connected to my PC. Is it a good idea or a bad idea?

depends what you want to use for sound. Sound from a PC is usually carried over HDMI to a TV or receiver. So you could use the Displayport to hdmi adapter for your PC monitor if you don't use it for sound and then use the HDMI for tv and sound.

The PS4 can play movies plugged into it, can play netflix.

My point is that, don't buy a TV for it's "smart" features. Half of them are limited, already dead in the water, etc. Granted it is harder to buy a large 65"+ without any smart features, but don't let it be the deciding factor. Any 20$ android box can do it all, a $20 chromecast and a PC can do lots, your PC hooked up to it, etc, etc.

Solution

breaker9320

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Fair enough. Then I will do as you suggested and use the Displayport on my computer since I don't use the sound on the monitor and will use the HDMI for the TV!
Great ! Just saved a lot of money! Thank you! You have a nice day xD

Get a regular TV (will save u money) with a least 2 HDMI ports, 1 optical out, 1 analog out, HDMI ARC capable plus.

Use PC to play video file is the way to go (convert that PC to HTPC is ultimate) because PC can play ANY video format just by loading the appropriate codec.

TV USB ports are crap. They are not "normal" USB port. Are limited in capability. Run away from them.