Anonymous Threatens To Shut Down Internet Next Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Sometimes I think Anonymous releases their plans to the world so that companies will then go and fix these security vulnerabilities. In fact, I don't think they even have an intention to shut down the Internet, I think they just want to poke fun and fix all of the poor code out there.

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
There is a reason we let economists handle the economy.

You can't let the banks fail. What happens when you let the banks fail? See 1930. I'm not going to get into all the economics behind it, but that's what happened.

Are the banks being ran properly? That's a different argument entirely, but people would throw an absolute fit if the government had control of the major banks. This is the alternative they get.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
so by using a udp exploit they are going to attempt to poison 13 root dns servers. Unless they can maintain the attack for multiple days/weeks on end without fail to all root dns servers the odds of them accomplishing anything using this method are slim to none.

ultimategamer_

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I wonder if the world would survive for even a few days without the internet... I'm not thinking apocolyptic, just curious as to wether many things would function properly. e.g. planes in the sky, television networks, satellites.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Anon didn't do anything, the internet was taken down by one british employee. Anonymous kindly rushed in and fixed everything for us when they noticed the mistake. ;)

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Sometimes I think Anonymous releases their plans to the world so that companies will then go and fix these security vulnerabilities. In fact, I don't think they even have an intention to shut down the Internet, I think they just want to poke fun and fix all of the poor code out there.[/citation]

That could be true, this could just be BS and not representative of most of the hackers intentions. As said above, this might be an April Fools style prank.

G

maybe they got access to a deep sea intertubes and plan to physically cut the link "disconnecting" the world from each other.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]beavis and butthead[/nom]Well they are very stupid if they think the DNS servers do not have overflow protection on them. Think Ping Blocker on steriods even regular UDP packets may look like its going through but only one request per static IP sure you can attempt a proxy but the static ip can not be masked . Stupid people think this net is like the phone back in the late 80s before caller ID . here is what will happen they will attempt a flawed UDP attack the DNS server being more secure that fort briggs will accept one request and dump the rest if they try 1000 sources to dump a UDP attack and 1000 will go through then dump hundreds of thousands of requests.making this hacker group look like tools they really are.all this is , is empty threats like the last facebook attempt it will FAIL like the group[/citation]

Due to the nature of UDP packets, the source IP can be spoofed since UDP does not require any kind of handshake. What you are thinking is TCP which which required a complex 3 way handshake process where packets are dropped unless the client and the server undergoes a process where a connection is established and maintained and ant attempt to spoof the IP will result in the packet becoming invalid and thus dropped.

The most common TCP attack, is one which makes many connections thus consuming the servers resources.

For UDP, you cant do a handshake, but if your server does a set of very specific things with the UDP then you can easily protect against most attacks. In the case of the DNS servers, the main attacks that cant really be protected against, are packet floods (though it will be the equivlent of trying to take out google with a packet flood if you try it to a root DNS server)

The other effective security flaw, is making the server it's own worst enemy. Make legitamite request that requires the server to spend CPU time and allocate memory to perform the task. Since it cant verify the source of the packet, it must treat it like any other request. Do this enough and you end up with a root DNS server that is running at 100% load with anon making most of the requests, thus making it less likely for the lesser DNS servers owned by ISP's and other companies, to update their cache. meaning if anon launches this attack and facebook decides to change their IP address on the same day then you may lose access to facebook.

While an attack that anon is planning can work, it wont have the intended effect. It will mostly hurt the lesser known sites that spring up on a daily basis, sites that are on a dynamic IP (eg someone using an old PC in their basement to host a website),, or finally, esoteric websites that are rarely accessed thus not likely to remain in a DNS server cache, thus requiring a root lookup. For the majority of internet users, they will not notice such an attack.

Anon is most likely doing this to get attention to the issue of SOPA and other harmful bills but has no plans to actually do this. Those experienced with these networks understand why it will not work but politicians and the media will not. (the media will also not listen to their IT guy because he or she will most likely not have a phd and some research study where he spent thousands or millions on to backup his or her answer)
(keep in mind that in an effort to legitimize them self further, many media companies will get together to fund research on things like (the study that shows that in a parking lot for a mall, customers prefer to park closer to the store)

faresdani

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
This is fake.

Real anonymous news are only posted here: http://anonnews.org/

they didn't announced such attack.

Like the facebook attack, all fake.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Would be interesting to see what happens if the internet was down for a few days.
If people die as a result could the hackers be held responsible ?
If so, can I pull the switch on the chair ?
Pleeeeeze ?

Is it just me or does it seem that all dumb shit starts with an 'A' these days ?

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Now these little kiddies are being ridiculous. They started off with support from tech enthusiast, but many like myself saw the underlying picture with these clowns. At this point they are all about media coverage and have actually lacked in carrying out most of the "BIG" threats they've made in the last couple years. Stop reporting on these kids and giving them free publicity.

At this point they are hardly any better than the crappy message they're delivering and fighting against. To top it off everything they're doing is actually giving a better case as to locking down technology and the Internet, not the opposite.

dwesely

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Buy shutting down DNS and by extension the internet, they will end up hurting the people they portend to be fighting for in the first place. This will have a MUCH greater impact on small business and individuals than it will for large corporations who can weather something like this. Not only that, who do these Anonymous boobs think created the internet infrastructure that we all enjoy? It was big companies, their products and guess who enabled those businesses to grow as large as they have - banks.

Criminals. Fools.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]dwesely[/nom]Buy shutting down DNS and by extension the internet, they will end up hurting the people they portend to be fighting for in the first place. This will have a MUCH greater impact on small business and individuals than it will for large corporations who can weather something like this. Not only that, who do these Anonymous boobs think created the internet infrastructure that we all enjoy? It was big companies, their products and guess who enabled those businesses to grow as large as they have - banks.Criminals. Fools.[/citation]

When you put it that way, I'm very much in favor of anonymous boobs.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]I have to agree with you. In other news, I'm in favor of anonymous boobs.[/citation]

dwesely

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]When you put it that way, I'm very much in favor of anonymous boobs.[/citation]

Well played.... ;)

Akizu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
First of all "Anonymous" isn't really a group. It's more like a philosophy or a subculture. A single guy posts his idea on pastebin/YT/anywhere and any user of the internet who believes its the right thing to do can join. Every single person in the world who uses internet is part of the "Anonymous" as its their choice if they want to participate in operations like this one or not.

As for taking down DNS servers... I use internet everyday and I really don't like the idea of it going down even for a day. Even among people who tried to take down Facebook I think only a few will be interested in taking down DNS servers. Also I believe that global DNS servers should be secure against such attacks AND many ISPs have their own DNS servers... while there used mostly as a cache with low expire time I believe they will still use latest cached version even after expire time if they cant connect to any of global DNS servers. Oh... and people who run those DNS servers have over a month to figure out how to block such attack if its really possible to pull off.

justxeno

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Probably government shutting it down and blaming it on hackers, move along its the hackers, we don't want your freedom and liberty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS