Anonymous Threatens To Shut Down Internet Next Month

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Sorry anonymous... the split horizon you are trying to create has been fixed in routing protocols since the early 2000's. Grow up and get real jobs and buy a house and pay your taxes like the rest of us... then you can whine about things.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]March 31st, 2012Goodbye, Internet Life! Hello, Social Life!I guess it'll do me some good. Hope it stays down for a while.How come Anonymous hasn't targeted Google? They've become a bit intrusive.[/citation]
Google is "anonymous"

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Shuting down internet is not easy to stop,after all it is originally build for the army. If they manage to stop the main DNS servers: it will affect (really) small percentage of people.All ISP have threir's DNS or several. Some people have personal DNS.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]I doubt it'll work, if it is real. Besides, you're only pissing us off and making even more of the world go against you...[/citation]
Meanwhile you carry on consuming and not caring.

Well done.

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Just incase they do manage to cripple DNS on a worldwide scale, ill look up the IP's of the websites I frequent and manually add them into my windows HOSTS file. Problem solved :)

9th

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]Why not hacked all those Banks, Wall Street, and everyone else they think, is responsible for their selfish acts?[/citation]
Because they can't. They would like you to think they are smart enough to do it, but they really are not.

G

There might be only 13 IP addresses, but most of them have hosts all over the world, and using anycast you get routed to the closest one. See http://www.root-servers.org/

It's highly unlikely that all of them will be down.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
[citation][nom]beavis and butthead[/nom]Well they are very stupid if they think the DNS servers do not have overflow protection on them. Think Ping Blocker on steriods even regular UDP packets may look like its going through but only one request per static IP sure you can attempt a proxy but the static ip can not be masked . Stupid people think this net is like the phone back in the late 80s before caller ID . here is what will happen they will attempt a flawed UDP attack the DNS server being more secure that fort briggs will accept one request and dump the rest if they try 1000 sources to dump a UDP attack and 1000 will go through then dump hundreds of thousands of requests.making this hacker group look like tools they really are.all this is , is empty threats like the last facebook attempt it will FAIL like the group[/citation]

I think you are all on drugs if you don't believe these guys know what they are doing.

And that is my opinion - as a professional network engineer.

lyrius

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
They don't intend to shut down the internet. Its just a bate they want to bring more attention to SOPA. Thats why they anounced it that early.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
i wish people could grasp that anon isnt a group; any of you can create a "poster", anonymously, and throw it around the net (4chan and others). If people agree with what you are trying to do, they can participate, using the *usually* provided download link for a ddos utility(or relevant information).

Many of these actions by "anonymous" are typically performed by an individual, or small group. Anon has no hierarchy, or structure to be mentioned; anon is not a group.

Status
Not open for further replies.