Apple: A FREE Case for All iPhone 4 Until October

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]guzz46[/nom]Funny you should mention that http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-4- [...] t-1594059/ Now i would call that a fix[/citation]
That guy at slashgear doesn't look like he understand the issue, the antenna has to be insulated from THE HAND not from the transceiver. now an internal bumper would be great is you could hold the phone internally. which is ridiculous.

Still, its better than your previous arguments.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]I am disappointed that the new iPhone has this problem and disappointed that Apple said currently there is not fix but put a cover on it. However I do agree with the song... since the problem is now out open and every iPhone4 is still within the 30day return peroid, if you don't like the problem and the problem does over weight the benifits don't buy it or get your full refund!!If you still like the phone and weight the benifits over the problem, well time to get a free bumper or a free case.If you think its beauty is more important than anything else or this problem is never be a problem to you... well... this should not affect you in any way....For the people who decide not to step in this mess... grap a beer and enjoy the bad PR Appple is having... however just remember there is no perfect phone out there... and at least now... everybody is still have the chance to act as their free will, take it or leave it..(at least within the 30 days of the purchase)...It will be interesting to know how many people will take Apple's way of "recall" by returning the phone![/citation]

I'm totally +1 on that!

Especially the last sentence. Indeed, the returns will be the most speaking number of the customers response to Apples decision.

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
What's needed to be asked is what percentage of iPhone owners are having problems that DIDN'T buy their bumper or third party case? If half of all people bought a case, then their problem rate jumps to over 10%.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]decrypted[/nom]What's needed to be asked is what percentage of iPhone owners are having problems that DIDN'T buy their bumper or third party case? If half of all people bought a case, then their problem rate jumps to over 10%.[/citation]
The problem rate is 100%, they admitted it was a design flaw and that so far the users did not complain too much and the return rate is lower (so far) than it was for the 3GS... the bumper is for those who cant help but hold it wrong... as silly as it sounds its all they can do about it.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
That guy at slashgear doesn't look like he understand the issue, the antenna has to be insulated from THE HAND not from the transceiver. now an internal bumper would be great is you could hold the phone internally. which is ridiculous.

Still, its better than your previous arguments.

I never said it was THE fix, just one example of different ideas on how to fix the problem

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
That makes no sense. The iPhone is perfect and people are just holding it wrong. So why bother with free rubber then? It is the people who are stupid and the ones to blame.
Is the logic the Apple way? iLogic??

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
This is a circus of disinformation, most of you know very little if not gossip about the real situation. It have little to do with what I have been reading here. The iPhone 4 antenna problem is real but run the snowball down hill and have fun with it. It reminds me of the life on Mars joke; "Is there intelligent people on earth?"...

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I mean, most comments here have nothing to do with the opinions engineers have been making these last days. So I can make my jokes too...

G

This is what happens when someone like Steve Jobs creates such a sales pitch about ho wonderful its new product is. That it creates consumers who expect nothing less then perfection. This is Apple's hype coming back to bite them. The create such high expectations that sometimes are just not possible.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I'm glad Apple at least put out some kind of resolution to their problem. However, I don't like how Jobs was saying that they tried helping the customer since this issue came up. If I recall, he stepped on the customer's nuts, burned them, and pissed on the ashes before holding this conference. He tried everything possible to not make it an Apple problem, but a "layer 8" problem. Then he tried explaining that every smart phone has the same issue. Yes some do, but only if you try really hard. The problem with the iPhone 4 vs. other smart phones is that the iPhone 4 drops calls with very little effort. That is why it is a big issue, on top of Jobs ignoring the customers. As always Apple sleeps with your wife, but their customers are still sucking that dick. I'd hate to be nasty about it, but that is how it is.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]awood28211[/nom]Let's think about this.Jobs CONTINUES to say holding the phone this way blocks the signal? Just like any other phone. Correct? Then why oh why would a bumper make ANY difference. Your hand will still be in the same place doing the same thing. Acknowledge this patch as a "solution" which is wrong to begin with and at the same time give a reason for the problem as something totally unrelated to the patch. Things that make you go hummm. My translation of the event. "This will fix it, but there isn't a problem." How does that work again?I have an Evo and I admit there is SOME signal loss when in a "death grip" and putting the rubber body case on it did.. ummm. NOTHING for reception. But I didn't expect it to. I bought it to protect, not to fix.[/citation]

you are correct, a bumper case will NOT fix death grip problems all together, but it WILL put it on a level playing field with all other phones. ALL phones suffer SOME signal loss from a death grip, but added to this in the iphone 4's case is the fact that you can bridge the antenna, which causes even more signal loss. MOST phones DO NOT have this DESIGN FLAW, so the bumper case will simply bring it up from being unacceptably effected by death grip problems, to being only averagely effected by them.

THEN steve can claim that his phone is as affected as any other phone. he certainly can't now!

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Apple: A FREE Case for All iPhone 4 Until October? But what gonna happen after October? A new revision with hardware fix perhaps...?

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]Apple: A FREE Case for All iPhone 4 Until October? But what gonna happen after October? A new revision with hardware fix perhaps...?[/citation]

Motre likely the bumper will be included in the packaging after that date.

tanknspank

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]a) All smart phone shave the same problem. Seem plausible to me, when this story first developed I googled the issue and found lots of stories, youtube videos, forum comments complaining about exactly the same problem on lots of other phones (ie when you hold the phone in a certain way, especially with weak reception, you get problems and dropped calls). I posted links to all those stories and videos in other comment threads on Daily Tech.b) No other handset maker has come up with a solution to this problem. I haven't found any after searching quite a bit. Anybody found any handset maker claiming to have a solution?c) The iPhone 4 seems to generally have better reception according to lots of bloggers, users and journalist testing/reviewing the iPhone 4, but is generating about 1% more complaints about dropped calls caused by the specific issue in questiond) Apple are offering a complete refund on demand, a free case (which should completely solve the problem) and a refund for anyone who has already bought a case.e) The iPhone has been for less than a month and Apple have offered a comprehensive account of the issue, taken a public Q&A session on it and offered complete refunds or a free case which should solve the problem. Given the time needed for the issue to be raised by users, picked up the media and examined by Apple engineers this seems pretty prompt to me.[/citation]

All phones have a problem when you block the antenna. What Apple was referring to was this fact. People are not realizing though, there is more to it than meets the eye. A typical smartphone with internal antenna will be vulnerable to the user placing their palm over the antenna while the phone is pressed against the ear. In this situation, you have a sandwich with the antenna surrounded by bags of water (your hand and your head), and you get massive attenuation of the cell signal. The iphone4 is less susceptible to this kind of interference because the antenna is spread out around the edge of the phone. Most likely, you will only block a few small areas where your fingers are holding the phone. So once you take care of the skin-touching-antenna issue by putting on a bumper, the iphone4 antenna is a pretty good design. In addition, Anandtech has tested the phone, and found that it has much better signal to noise ratio than other phones. So, as reported in other reviews, the iphone4 SHOULD have much better reception and sensitivity. Anand has found that it will work reliably down to a -113dBm signal level. That's way beyond the dropped-call threshold for other phones, such as the iphone3GS. Anand also vindicated Apple's claim about the signal display. He found that the bottom 4 bars of the display was squeezed into a tiny range of signal strength, approx. 10dBm wide, while the 5th bar covered approx. 40dBm of usable signal strength. So when you are in a weak signal location, you are down in the bottom 10dBm range, and a very small change in signal strength (such as when you death-grip the phone) will cause a dramatic change in the bar display. Apple is probably addressing this by spreading out the bars more evenly in their next ios4 software patch. I am surprised that in a technical website like this, nobody is actually looking at data and making an informed decision. Instead, everyone has joined this massive media witch hunt and helping to burn Apple at the stake.

tanknspank

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I just realized what a long winded post I made. Here is the short version: put a bumper on the iphone4, and its antenna will be able to do its job, and the sensitive receiver circuits will make the phone the best at receiving weak signals, down to -113dBm, where other phones dare not tread.

Status
Not open for further replies.