Apple: A FREE Case for All iPhone 4 Until October

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Something I would like bring up that not too many people are talking about - Doesn't anyone find the whole wrong formula thing rather fraudulent? I am understanding that until the fix iPhones always displayed an extra 2 bars of service than they actually had.

Think about this - How many salesman have said something like, my friends have a (insert competition phone) but I always have 2 more bars of service than they do...

If I owned a competing company I think I would be a little pissed...

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]@ta152hIt's not blowing this out of proportion...it's because Apple and the news media up-play/up-played the iPhone 4 as some smartphone savior that ended up with a design flaw and in which case Apple and the god-of-overpriced-products says everything to be minimalistic about the problem after being so hush-hush for weeks on the obvious issue...is something to keep in the news If Apple wants to significantly boast their products then they need to live by it and not mask and minimize an obvious issue...If I owned the iPhone 4 I wouldn't accept a case but demand a recall to hardware fix the issue!...which we know is what Apple is truly TRYING TO AVOID that would cost them much of their beautiful profits...[/citation]
What you would end up with is a refund. go buy golf clubs, is your ball curves after you hit it either you learn to swing corectly or you return them for a refund... they will not alter the clubs because you.

in0va3

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
[citation][nom]wawa sxm[/nom]lol looks like those who queued up got screwed, a bumper for you and the real fix for those that wait[/citation]

theres no real fix, just returns or wait till next year. o_O

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So unless you use it with a case it will still have the problem.That is not a fix, what if I want to use the phone without a case?Wouldn't a true fix be at the factory giving the antenna some kind of non-conductive coating on the hand-facing side, thereby preventing your hand from creating a conductive bridge?This will be rolled out immediately and the next batch of iPhone 4's will have it, leaving all the early adopters who paid a premium to get the latest and greatest with a fundamentally flawed product. Well done Apple. At least when Microsoft had the RRoD problem with the Xbox 360 it ponied up a few BILLION dollars into a fund to fix all the ones that came back. Apple's response should have been the same, a recall to apply a coating to the antenna and return to the customer, but no, the cheap-ass option to hand out cases which despite the retail value probably only cost $1 million for the lot.Cheap.Arrogant.Rubbish.I will never, ever, EVER buy an Apple product as long as I draw breathe.[/citation]
indeed, not buying it is probably a better solution for you than to stop breathing.
1- coating stainless steel, not easily done and scratches would negate the effect, you would need many layers of coating and would not be as good as the bumper.
2- as long as the antenna is exposed the design flaw will occur so the "next batch" will have a different look or come with the bumper preinstalled.
3- If you really want to use it bumper less (you would have to stop breathing first) and then just learn not to hold it like its an axe when in zones with low signal strength. (before you faint or die from lack of oxigen)

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
What you would end up with is a refund. go buy golf clubs, is your ball curves after you hit it either you learn to swing corectly or you return them for a refund... they will not alter the clubs because you.

So i guess those people who had their accelerators stick on in their toyota's should have learned to use their accelerators differently, at least toyota did the right thing in the end by issuing a recall and fixing the problem.

This is what apple does - We have a design fault in our product that we are not going to fix and if your not ok with that then don't buy it or return it or learn to live with a case that bypasses the problem

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Would it be that bad to actually make a real antennae like the ones on the older Palms? They didn't look like cheap Nokia antennae. Somehow Apple would be able to make it look good.

But with so much more stuff requiring so much more bandwidth maybe we have to take a step back?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
So it still is and always be like Windows Vista. They'll just keep praising it, patching it and making half-assed attempts to make it look better, but when you get right down to it, it's still, um, the iPhone Vista.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
You can sugarcoat crap as much as you want, but it's still crap.

Giving sales statistics, happy figures and crap like that still doesn't change the fact that the damn phone has issues, Steve Jobs!

Also; you like making customers happy? How about not deleting forum threads? And actually acting before a lawsuit is brought against you?

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
All I know is, if I owned an iPhone, I would feel a bit pissed that Apples solution is more or less, "out of sight, out of mind" by asking their customers to simple "cover up" the flaw. In the end, it's still a flawed phone that is crippled without the case.

For many who bought the phone out of pure aesthetics are getting screwed over since part of that "shiny new feeling" is now, "hey, look at my awesome phone through a plastic case."

Shame on you Apple for not addressing the customer and offering a voluntary recall as well.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]guzz46[/nom]So i guess those people who had their accelerators stick on in their toyota's should have learned to use their accelerators differently, at least toyota did the right thing in the end by issuing a recall and fixing the problem. This is what apple does - We have a design fault in our product that we are not going to fix and if your not ok with that then don't buy it or return it or learn to live with a case that bypasses the problem[/citation]
There is a difference between a design flaw and a safety defect that you seem not to understand. "Solving a design flaw" requires to redesign, if that is what you want just return your phone and wait for the iPhone 5 next year... or the iPhone 6 in two years if the 5 has the same flaw.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]gmarsack[/nom]All I know is, if I owned an iPhone, I would feel a bit pissed that Apples solution is more or less, "out of sight, out of mind" by asking their customers to simple "cover up" the flaw. In the end, it's still a flawed phone that is crippled without the case. For many who bought the phone out of pure aesthetics are getting screwed over since part of that "shiny new feeling" is now, "hey, look at my awesome phone through a plastic case." Shame on you Apple for not addressing the customer and offering a voluntary recall as well.[/citation]

Sad, huh? Lets compare it to the ones Apple mocks and hates so much: Microsoft.

The 360 RRoD. Now this is an issue that affected some, but not all of the people. So what does MS do? They extend the warranty and drop a few million-billion in losses.

The antenna issue affects some but not all users depending on how they hold the phone or if they are just Apple zealots. What does Apple do?

Step 1: Blame the consumer for doing it wrong

Step 2: Blame software

Step 3: Ignore the the problem and the consumer

And finally Step 4: Put a band-aid on it but don't admit you were wrong or offer to fix it when the full hardware fix is available.

Huh.... And people call MS greedy.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]Would it be that bad to actually make a real antennae like the ones on the older Palms? They didn't look like cheap Nokia antennae. Somehow Apple would be able to make it look good.But with so much more stuff requiring so much more bandwidth maybe we have to take a step back?[/citation]
You can take a step back, get a phone that has none of the high tech features

derstarke

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Wow. You apple bashers are as mindless as the apple lovers - nothin makes you happy. As for the apple lovers - nothing makes you angry. Bottom line, however, is that they did something. Now that you can't complain about them having done nothing, you move on to the next thing without acknowledging the thing they DID do.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]So it still is and always be like Windows Vista. They'll just keep praising it, patching it and making half-assed attempts to make it look better, but when you get right down to it, it's still, um, the iPhone Vista.[/citation]
Yes, just like Vista, it is bashed on by the ignorant who do not own one.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]You can sugarcoat crap as much as you want, but it's still crap.Giving sales statistics, happy figures and crap like that still doesn't change the fact that the damn phone has issues, Steve Jobs!Also; you like making customers happy? How about not deleting forum threads? And actually acting before a lawsuit is brought against you?[/citation]
Well I guess we will see how many people think the phone and the "fix" is bad enough to ask for a refund... because that is part of the fix.

My bet is that not many will as for a refund. the phone works, just hold it right or use a bumper.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Sad, huh? Lets compare it to the ones Apple mocks and hates so much: Microsoft.The 360 RRoD. Now this is an issue that affected some, but not all of the people. So what does MS do? They extend the warranty and drop a few million-billion in losses.The antenna issue affects some but not all users depending on how they hold the phone or if they are just Apple zealots. What does Apple do?Step 1: Blame the consumer for doing it wrongStep 2: Blame softwareStep 3: Ignore the the problem and the consumerAnd finally Step 4: Put a band-aid on it but don't admit you were wrong or offer to fix it when the full hardware fix is available.Huh.... And people call MS greedy.[/citation]
Well they do offer a full refund, Did MS offer to refund the Xbox buyers? Just a different strategy if you ask me.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]Pickle_69[/nom]Something I would like bring up that not too many people are talking about - Doesn't anyone find the whole wrong formula thing rather fraudulent? I am understanding that until the fix iPhones always displayed an extra 2 bars of service than they actually had.Think about this - How many salesman have said something like, my friends have a (insert competition phone) but I always have 2 more bars of service than they do...If I owned a competing company I think I would be a little pissed...[/citation]
Yeah its kind of shady but then again, the original formula looked a lot like the one on android phones (see anandtech.com) also, a "signal strength bar" is not a mesuring unit that has a benchmark baseline son everyone can show as many bars as they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.