Apple: A FREE Case for All iPhone 4 Until October

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]nophone[/nom]i have to surmise that based upon the ardent posting of iPhone users here that deny ever having a problem with reception, a good many of them simply dont phone people.....[/citation]
or, simply don't use the deathgrip

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
There is a difference between a design flaw and a safety defect that you seem not to understand. "Solving a design flaw" requires to redesign, if that is what you want just return your phone and wait for the iPhone 5 next year... or the iPhone 6 in two years if the 5 has the same flaw.

Not really, a safety defect is a design flaw, what do you think toyota did? recall the cars only to give them the same problematic accelerator or recall them for a redesign so the problem doesn't happen again, or maybe they should say our cars have a design flaw and if you don't like it then don't buy them

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]you cry babies!good all mighty Steve is bringing gifts to you and all you do is condemn some not happening issue (yet fully proven)apple is perfect, the iphone 4 is perfect and woe to those who dare say against it!I'll happily purchase something else... was considering this iteration of the iphone but seeing how this is not the droid you're looking for (no pun intended but a bad sw reference) I'll save my money for a while and wait for some company that will recognize mistakes, work on them and get them fixed... if I remember that's something called warranty[/citation]
There are two ways with warranty: repair or refund. They are doing what they think is best... refund. they admitted that they cannot change the way it is except by putting a bumper, if that is not good enough, then they refund... totaly legal and totally fair.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]thfan816[/nom]Seeing that the Bold had no problems at the conference, someone should have taken out an iphone and reproduced the problem on the spot to shut out Jobs' BS.[/citation]
They did and the signal remained strong. because ATT and Verizon both have an antenna close to the place of the press conference.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]awood28211[/nom]What they did is patch (not fix) the issue with 3 million dollars (assuming $1 cost per bumper) instead of $570,000,000 (assuming $190 cost per iPhone).[/citation]
Their position is that it cannot be fixed and that the bumper is the only option, a recall would benefit no one.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]guzz46[/nom]Not really, a safety defect is a design flaw, what do you think toyota did? recall the cars only to give them the same problematic accelerator or recall them for a redesign so the problem doesn't happen again, or maybe they should say our cars have a design flaw and if you don't like it then don't buy them[/citation]

its the other way around, a design flaw is not necessarily a safety defect. A safety defect is either a design flaw or any other type of defect that causes safety hazards.

its not a 1=1 relation. there is no danger to anyone because of the antenna.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
its the other way around, a design flaw is not necessarily a safety defect. A safety defect is either a design flaw or any other type of defect that causes safety hazards.

its not a 1=1 relation. there is no danger to anyone because of the antenna.

A widespread safety defect like toyota faced was a design flaw, just as the iphone4 has a design flaw but the point isn't whether its dangerous or not the point is a major design flaw should be fixed free of charge, not covered up

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]guzz46[/nom]A widespread safety defect like toyota faced was a design flaw, just as the iphone4 has a design flaw but the point isn't whether its dangerous or not the point is a major design flaw should be fixed free of charge, not covered up[/citation]
Yes, the iPhone has a design flaw, which is not a safety defect specifically because it is not dangerous.

Also Toyota could have decided to refund everyone but that did not make sense in their situation, Just like it doesn't make sense for Apple to offer repair when they know it cannot be repaired.

Businesses decisions like that happen everyday on smaller scales than Toyota or Apple but believe me... they do!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]@ta152hIt's not blowing this out of proportion...it's because Apple and the news media up-play/up-played the iPhone 4 as some smartphone savior that ended up with a design flaw and in which case Apple and the god-of-overpriced-products says everything to be minimalistic about the problem after being so hush-hush for weeks on the obvious issue...is something to keep in the news If Apple wants to significantly boast their products then they need to live by it and not mask and minimize an obvious issue...If I owned the iPhone 4 I wouldn't accept a case but demand a recall to hardware fix the issue!...which we know is what Apple is truly TRYING TO AVOID that would cost them much of their beautiful profits...[/citation]

As I said, you're exaggerating the issue, and now misrepresenting it.

It is how you hold it. And using a bumper eliminates that problem.

I know you want it to be more, you really do. It's a real opportunity for you to say all the bad things about Apple. It's so important for you.

But, at the end of the day, it's still a minor issue that is solved by the bumper, or holding the phone differently. That's it. You want it more, but, what you want doesn't change reality. You're just not that important.

But, luckily for you, Steve Jobs is handling this so badly, you'll get your decadent pleasure that way. I doubt he'll have the presence of mind to offer a free change of the antenna, but he should. Mainly because most people will not bother and will not cost much anyway, but will definitely improve the image of the company. It's important, but he'll flub it.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Yes, the iPhone has a design flaw, which is not a safety defect specifically because it is not dangerous.

Also Toyota could have decided to refund everyone but that did not make sense in their situation, Just like it doesn't make sense for Apple to offer repair when they know it cannot be repaired.

Businesses decisions like that happen everyday on smaller scales than Toyota or Apple but believe me... they do!

You can't offer a refund on a car thats years old, and why offer a refund when they can just fix the problem.

And don't believe the antenna can't be fixed, its not rocket science, it can be fixed

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]guzz46[/nom]You can't offer a refund on a car thats years old, and why offer a refund when they can just fix the problem.And don't believe the antenna can't be fixed, its not rocket science, it can be fixed[/citation]

first point: yes you can refund a car but you would be bankrupt if you do it for a large number of sales, one more reason for Toyota not to do it. why are we still discussing Toyota?

second point: it is in fact not rocket science... when a shuttle crashes nobody gets a refund and they do not try to repair it. the antenna probably could be fixed by making it internal... pretty, much the same as putting a bumper on.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
first point: yes you can refund a car but you would be bankrupt if you do it for a large number of sales, one more reason for Toyota not to do it. why are we still discussing Toyota?

second point: it is in fact not rocket science... when a shuttle crashes nobody gets a refund and they do not try to repair it. the antenna probably could be fixed by making it internal... pretty, much the same as putting a bumper on.

I guess you have never heard of an analogy, apple's refund is what? 30 days only, toyota fixed the problem, thats all they needed to do. I guarantee there would be a different way to fix the antenna without making it internal, why do you think they will be re-examining the issue in september? remember this statement "There is no reception issue. Stay tuned"

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]guzz46[/nom]I guess you have never heard of an analogy, apple's refund is what? 30 days only, toyota fixed the problem, thats all they needed to do. I guarantee there would be a different way to fix the antenna without making it internal, why do you think they will be re-examining the issue in september? remember this statement "There is no reception issue. Stay tuned"[/citation]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy
checked, I actually knew that.

I will do as I have read before: "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded."

That is also an analogy. trouble is cars weight thousands of pounds and cost thousands of dolars more than phones. different product, different solution. You can only do so much mileage with this analogy of yours.

So you guaranty there would be a way to fix the antenna without changing the phone's external appearance... back it up. Do it or find someone who did it successfully And link it back here.

so far the bumper is the best solution according to people who tried it and who know how those things actually work, which I doubt you do:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/iphone-4-redux-analyzing-apples-ios-41-signal-fix

so if Apple and an external impartial source both backed by engineering knowledge think the bumper is best then mister nobody who is probably a 14 years old troll for all I know better have something solid to offer to "fix" it better than the bumper.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy
checked, I actually knew that.

I will do as I have read before: "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded."

That is also an analogy. trouble is cars weight thousands of pounds and cost thousands of dolars more than phones. different product, different solution. You can only do so much mileage with this analogy of yours.

So you guaranty there would be a way to fix the antenna without changing the phone's external appearance... back it up. Do it or find someone who did it successfully And link it back here.

so far the bumper is the best solution according to people who tried it and who know how those things actually work, which I doubt you do:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821 [...] signal-fix

so if Apple and an external impartial source both backed by engineering knowledge think the bumper is best then mister nobody who is probably a 14 years old troll for all I know better have something solid to offer to "fix" it better than the bumper.

I still don't think you know what an analogy means, toyota was in a much much much worse situation than apple yet they still fronted up and fixed the problems in the end.

Yes i guarantee there would be a different fix than just moving the antenna inside the phone, the key word being WOULD not IS.

Nice article from anandtech by the way, luckily there are more than a few engineers in the world today, maybe thats why apple are currently hiring .

Again why do you think they will be re-examining the issue in september? it means they are looking for a fix, and a bumper isn't a fix its a band aid.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]guzz46[/nom]I still don't think you know what an analogy means, toyota was in a much much much worse situation than apple yet they still fronted up and fixed the problems in the end. Yes i guarantee there would be a different fix than just moving the antenna inside the phone, the key word being WOULD not IS.Nice article from anandtech by the way, luckily there are more than a few engineers in the world today, maybe thats why apple are currently hiring .Again why do you think they will be re-examining the issue in september? it means they are looking for a fix, and a bumper isn't a fix its a band aid.[/citation]
Band aid or fix, that's for each of us to decide what we think of it, probably not worth the argument. I think they will try to think of something else but that will probably be nothing more than putting the bumper inside the phone's box.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Band aid or fix, that's for each of us to decide what we think of it, probably not worth the argument. I think they will try to think of something else but that will probably be nothing more than putting the bumper inside the phone's box.

Funny you should mention that
http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-4-internal-bumper-fix-in-works-tips-analyst-1594059/
Now i would call that a fix

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I am disappointed that the new iPhone has this problem and disappointed that Apple said currently there is not fix but put a cover on it.

However I do agree with the song... since the problem is now out open and every iPhone4 is still within the 30day return peroid, if you don't like the problem and the problem does over weight the benifits don't buy it or get your full refund!!

If you still like the phone and weight the benifits over the problem, well time to get a free bumper or a free case.

If you think its beauty is more important than anything else or this problem is never be a problem to you... well... this should not affect you in any way....

For the people who decide not to step in this mess... grap a beer and enjoy the bad PR Appple is having... however just remember there is no perfect phone out there... and at least now... everybody is still have the chance to act as their free will, take it or leave it..(at least within the 30 days of the purchase)...

It will be interesting to know how many people will take Apple's way of "recall" by returning the phone!

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
By the way, this is a little like what I had with my Razer phone..

That time many people were not happy with the short battery life of Razer. However, many of them still keep it because of it thin design and good reception by taking as what it is. I was kind of person who like the reception and decide to "cover" it up by getting a thick "extended" battery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS