Apple: A FREE Case for All iPhone 4 Until October

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirgle

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]It isn't just people who are having issues who will jump at the chance to get a free bumper. A lot of people wanted or bought a bumper anyway. [/citation]

I suppose sarcasm is sometimes difficult to convey across the internet. I know several people that purchased the bumper in stores prior to even receiving the phone in the mail, before the issue with the antenna was known. Of course there are many people that buy the bumper not to solely fix the antenna problem. Most probably purchased it to protect their shiny expensive new toy. That said, I doubt even Steve believes that only .5% are experiencing this problem, It just sounds good to his audience. I just enjoy the irony in the statement that the antenna issue is not a big problem, but they are having trouble producing enough bumpers to rectify the situation.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not a big fan of Apple, but the people that post here are so off the mark, it's pathetic.

It's a small problem, that is easily corrected by moving your hand. Most people don't hold it that way, and those that do can fix it easily with a bumper. It's not like the damn thing is blowing up on people, or the battery fries the chassis, or it drops calls and there's no way to reconnect.

It's not perfect, but it's far from horrible either. Stop making it more than it is.

A lot of reviewers said it had the best reception of any iPhone. It's got a lot of nice features as well. It can be used very successfully with a minor change in operator behavior, and can be fixed easily by using something like the bumper they are giving away free.

Again, keep it in perspective, instead of using this to advance your dislike of Apple.

Having said all that though, the way Apple handled this is absolutely moronic. It's like what Intel did with the Pentium FDIV bug. Steve Jobs might be a genius at designing things people like, but he's a complete buffoon when it comes to things like this. It's a premium product, that relies on its reputation, and he couldn't afford so much negative publicity. Sure, the problem is relatively minor, but, you nip it in the bud, give out the bumpers immediately, and work on a new antenna that can replace the existing one for customers that want to bring it back to the shop. The reality is, very, very few will, but you'll look like a real premium company that goes out of the way to help customers.

Instead of looking like Steve the ass-clown that wouldn't admit to an issue, because it was minor, and let it blow way out of proportion.

Perception is more important than reality. All big companies know this. Why didn't Apple? Hasn't Jobs done this long enough to know how to handle this type of situation?

G

"e) The iPhone has been for less than a month and Apple have offered a comprehensive account of the issue, taken a public Q&A session on it and offered complete refunds or a free case which should solve the problem. Given the time needed for the issue to be raised by users, picked up the media and examined by Apple engineers this seems pretty prompt to me."

I would hope its "prompt" as they knew about the issue before the phone was released. I wonder how apple fanboys deal with the fact that Steve Jobs thinks all his consumers are idiots?

spunkymunky

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
@ta152h

Its not an issue of holding the phone different, that is just an excuse. It is like telling owners of Toyotas that had the accelerator problem "well just don't press the accelerator so far down" or owners of those fatal cribs "don't place your baby to close to the side". Yes yes I know these are life and death senarios, but they are examples of product design flaws. When a product clearly does not work as advertised, the manufacturer must resolve the situation and a free bumper case is not a solution. Apple is basically giving a bandaid to a cut they wont admit exists. Not a good way to conduct a business.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
What people don't publicize is that 1 in 200 iPhone users are reporting this issue. Let's say that some people are keeping quiet as well, so 1 in 100. Even with this factored in, it's only ONE PERCENT of users.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
@ta152h
It's not blowing this out of proportion...it's because Apple and the news media up-play/up-played the iPhone 4 as some smartphone savior that ended up with a design flaw and in which case Apple and the god-of-overpriced-products says everything to be minimalistic about the problem after being so hush-hush for weeks on the obvious issue...is something to keep in the news :D

If Apple wants to significantly boast their products then they need to live by it and not mask and minimize an obvious issue...If I owned the iPhone 4 I wouldn't accept a case but demand a recall to hardware fix the issue!...which we know is what Apple is truly TRYING TO AVOID that would cost them much of their beautiful profits...

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]awood28211[/nom]My translation of the event. "This will fix it, but there isn't a problem." How does that work again?[/citation]
+1 for summing it up.

god I wish someone really, REALLY big would sue them and win.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The youtube song really put all of us iPhone / Apple haters in our place. No I feel foolish thinking that a hand-held device should have zero problems being held in the hand.

tehmoonrulz

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I don't know anyone personally that has had an issue with the new iPhone. Most people complaining about this issue probably don't have one, it's just easy to jab at apple because they're a big company that has a history of making good products.

G

i have to surmise that based upon the ardent posting of iPhone users here that deny ever having a problem with reception, a good many of them simply dont phone people.....

buz81

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
From youtube vid, "If you (sic) want the iPhone 4, don't buy it. If you don't like the iPhone 4, bring it back."

What's wrong with this quotation? I hope the rest are correct. I know there was a rush to publish this article but that doesn't absolve Jane (author) or the editors of proof reading it. I know this is a little nitpick but it does taint the article and make it feel unpolished. Correct spelling, grammar and quotations will make for articles that are easy and pleasant to read.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]awood28211[/nom]What they did is patch (not fix) the issue with 3 million dollars (assuming $1 cost per bumper) instead of $570,000,000 (assuming $190 cost per iPhone).[/citation]
in light of the fact that it is a non-issue, why would they fix something that is not broken... there are more complaints from people that do not own the device than from those who do...

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]cabose369[/nom]If it is a "small problem" that happens to "0.55%" of all Iphone users... how was Consumer Reports one of the 0.55% to have the issue?? And how were all the other media companies able to recreate the problem as well??Did you ever think that, much like they do ALL THE TIME, Apple is fudging their numbers??Look for example at them attacking the Bold 9700. Some guy in the audience said they he couldn't get his Bold to drop holding it the way Steve said if u do u will lose signal. Steve's response: It only happens in certain areas. (translation: we are full of s**t.)Apple are the masters of bulls**tting their customers and the media. And Apple fanbois just eat it allll up.[/citation]
You don't get it: All iPhone 4 have the issue...not 0.55% it just doesn't drop that many calls because of it and doesn't cause enough disagreement for the owners to complain about it.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Steve is just trying to slide this under the carpet.

That percentage can't be right surely? That would be that only that "small" percentage of Iphones have the antenna issue? which would mean they're physically different

But it's okay... What Uncle steve says goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.