austinvoss99

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
Both of these brands seem to be very popular and i've heard good things about both. I will not be buying the mixamp version of the a40's, just the headphones. The Sennheiser's are about $139 and the a40's are about $150. I want them to be comfortable, good for gaming, maybe some music every now and then but mainly for gaming on my pc, and for comfortability, and quality sound.
So, the big question, which pair should I get?

Solution
any headphone or headset supports virtual surround sound.

razer surround works with anything and without hardware support for virtual though the better choices of dolby headphone or cmss3d/sbx come on asus/creative soundcards or some onboard sound from motherboards. as long as your hardware (soundcard/onboard) supports it you're good to go. otherwise, the not as good razer surround works on anything.

fudgecakes99

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
i can't say anything about the senneheisers, but i've had a40's for over 5+ years and they worked perfectly, even though i dropped them a ton i mean a ton. On a hard tile floor, never broke. Really well built headphones, and the comfort, i'd say probably the most comfortable headphones on the market, plus the mics adjustable you can plug it onto either side. The voice quality on the mic isn't bad either. Granted i bought these a while back, and the build quality may have changed over the years.

the game one is basically a sennheiser hd598 paired up with a mic and i believe a usb dac/amp. generally hifi headphones are much better sounding than gaming headsets so i'd +1 the game one over the a40.

though it really depends on preference, not just audio quality.

austinvoss99

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
thanks for the answers! I don't know much about this kind of stuff. And one more question, if I were to get the a40's, could I get a Sound card instead of getting the mix amp?

you certainly could. just as you could use a soundcard with the game one if you did not use the usb one.

or, you could use the hd598 pair it with a modmic and soundcard and have just about the same thing. or if on a budget use the hd518 or hd558 which have the same drivers (speakers) as the 598.

ultimately up to you on opinion.

any headphone or headset supports virtual surround sound.

razer surround works with anything and without hardware support for virtual though the better choices of dolby headphone or cmss3d/sbx come on asus/creative soundcards or some onboard sound from motherboards. as long as your hardware (soundcard/onboard) supports it you're good to go. otherwise, the not as good razer surround works on anything.

Solution