Question ASUS UX310UA - Screen not detected if back cover is on

Aug 9, 2019
Hello! First time ever asking in a forum but I'm braindead with this issue.

Notebook ASUS ZenBook UX310UA

Problem: Computer screen won't turn on if back cover is on.
What I did:
  • I quadruple checked display connector to motherboard. Yanked it back and forth, checked connections.
  • Covered every screw hole to make sure no short was made.
  • Tested with external HDMI monitor; turns out screen isn't detected if back cover is on (doesn't matter if screws are on or not). HDMI screen always works. To the computer, the laptop display doesn't even exist.
From what I understand, the whole computer doesn't detect the screen if the back cover is on. Not even the BIOS.

Any clues? Thanks in advance.

I am going to assume here that it is detected then when the cover is off? You didn't actually say.

If so, this leads me to ask as to why it is off? Did the display stop working and you took it off as a test? (not normally something one would do but one never knows.) Or was it something else.

Need a bit more details here as to how you got to where you are and why.

Aug 9, 2019
When the cover is off, the screen is detected and working fine.

If I turn it on without the cover and then put the cover, it works fine until the computer is turned off.

As to why I took off the cover, my first instinct was to check RAM and disk. I fiddled with the connectors and turned it on without the cover. It worked, but when I put the cover back on, it won't power nor detect the display.

Last edited:
I see, so you actually don't know why then.

Well, I have to say that if it isn't working when the cover is on, and is when it is off, it sounds like your friend may have hit it with something, put something heavy on it when closed, dropped something on it, etc. Something within the display is not sitting right and that is what would be causing it to not work when covered. You will have to find out what part is bent, etc., and see if it is possible to fix it (without doing more damage).