Audio Sounds Bad From All Ports, Self-Built PC

Apr 5, 2018
I hadn't used my computer in a few weeks, and it was time to plug everything back in and start using it again.

ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX DDR4 3300
Intel Core i7-6800K
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2400MHz
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD 650W

It should be noted that my computer sits on carpet, and I have to move it to get at the cables plugged back in. I realize that this is not smart.

I plug everything in and the audio sounds... horrible.

If the levels are low, it sounds almost normal. Once the sound gets turned up, the audio gets extremely buzzy, ultra-compressed, and bounces from left to right.

It is bad in all audio ports: front, back, and through my monitor (it should be mentioned that the monitor worked for a few days after the first two went weird).

I have tried re-installing Realtek Drivers, I've looked through the Sound panel to see if any weird effects were turned on (they weren't), I've tried updating drivers through Device Manager.

Really, I need to find out if I need to replace my Motherboard... did I fry my sound card with static electricity? I've had to move my pc on the carpet before... I'm wondering if either this time was fatal, or if something else is going on.

Apr 5, 2018

I don't have a separate sound card, But I will try checking the plugs on my motherboard, and let you know what happens.

Apr 5, 2018

It's not the speakers. I have tried one speaker, a pair of earbuds, and a pair of professional headphones.