wads21

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
I have 2 laptops sitting around, and was wondering if it would be possible to combine the 2? i.e. the cpus, ram cards, stuff like that. they are both acers, one is just older and sitting there collecting dust. if it is possible, could someone either give me an idiot proof guide or point me in the direction of one. thanks

Solution
No, it doesn't work like that. If you had two desktops, you could take the best parts of each and use them with each other (as long as they were all the same standards), but with laptops, almost everything is soldered to the motherboard. You're SOL.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
No, it doesn't work like that. If you had two desktops, you could take the best parts of each and use them with each other (as long as they were all the same standards), but with laptops, almost everything is soldered to the motherboard. You're SOL.

Solution

LummusMaximus

Honorable
It actually would be possible, but you'd have to make sure everything is compatible- i.e. No ddr2 memory in a ddr3 slot. Basically, make sure they're both from around the same era. Maybe post model numbers and specs- as complicated as you can- i.e. Say "x2 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM" instead of "8gb ram".

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

To combine two LAPTOPS? At best, the most you could do is trade the hard drives / RAM if you were lucky. You aren't going to be able to pick and choose the more powerful pieces and build a new system out of them like you could with a desktop.

LummusMaximus

Honorable

I know it would be tricky, but sometimes CPUs aren't soldered, are they? Meaning if the two models are close enough the they might have compatible sockets. Otherwise, you're right: no trading mobos etc.

You might be able to swap the screens, google 'laptop screen upgrade'.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

Very very rarely, and even then, the motherboard is only going to have a sparse handful of CPUs it will support due to power supply and heat issues. It's also going to be a MAJOR undertaking for what's probably not going to be much of an upgrade... and in order for it to work, both laptops would have to have un-soldered CPUs, and the one with the better CPU would have to not also have the better motherboard or screen or it would be pointless.