Cursor pausing video and opening tabs in Firefox on two different computers.

sigmIV

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Last week, when I was listening to a podcast on my Surface Pro 3, the podcast randomly paused, most likely because someone clicked the pause button, then the pointer was moving by itself and opening tabs in Firefox (no mouse or trackpad were plugged in). I didn't bother, I just restored the computer, and haven't used it since then. Being a little too paranoid, I also did reset my modem and router, so everything would be fresh.

Today, my new computer did the exact same thing, it paused my Youtube video and the cursor started moving by itself. I turned it off and booted in safe mode and made several antivirus scan with different programs (Norton, AVG, CCleaner, Malwarebytes), and nothing suspicious came out.

What the deuce is going on? Could maybe this has to do with a malicious Firefox extension?

PS: I am using legitimate copies of Windows 8.1 Pro.

Thank you.

Solution
It doesn't really sound like a virus, it sounds more like a peripheral problem like keyboard, mouse or touch pad. The chances that someone would move your mouse and that while a user is still using their system is highly unlikely since this would put the user on high alert and they would know something is up. So the chances of this being a virus are very slim. Try using a old keyboard and mouse with your system, or try updating your drivers. The mouse moving by itself thing can also mean the optical sensor on the mouse is defective or dirty.

It could also be someone on your local network pulling a prank on you.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
It doesn't really sound like a virus, it sounds more like a peripheral problem like keyboard, mouse or touch pad. The chances that someone would move your mouse and that while a user is still using their system is highly unlikely since this would put the user on high alert and they would know something is up. So the chances of this being a virus are very slim. Try using a old keyboard and mouse with your system, or try updating your drivers. The mouse moving by itself thing can also mean the optical sensor on the mouse is defective or dirty.

It could also be someone on your local network pulling a prank on you.

Solution