Data Recovery Software Won't Recognize My Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revoltcraft

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
Hey everyone! I've been trying to recover some videos from the internal storage of a Sony Handicam Camcorder, but none of the programs I've tried will show the device in the storage device list. I've tried to Google this issue, and locate a solution through the specific software's website, but to no avail (obviously).

I've tried several different programs including Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery, Remo Recover, PhotoRec and Vibosoft Data Recovery, both licensed and trial versions. I've also tried on different versions of Windows to rule out compatibility issues (Windows 8.1 64bit and Windows 7 32bit).

All the programs give the same result. They will show my primary HDD, my SSD and any flash/external drive I plug into the computer, but for some reason, it won't list the one device I need. If anyone has a suggestion, preferably not another program to try, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you!

Revoltcraft

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014

USB appears to be the only option on the camcorder, which is hardwired into the side of it. After my original post, I was plugging other devices in to see if they'd be recognized, and my LG Optimus G Android phone reacts the same as my Sony Camcorder-- which is to say it's not recognized by the software. Not sure if that helps.

Revoltcraft

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014

I did take a look at available drivers earlier, but it seemed it's less of a "driver" and more of an optional, multimedia program for import/export, viewing and editing of photographs called "PlayMemories". I wasn't going to install it, but I'll give it a go when I get home, and report my findings. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Edit: Oddly enough, the PlayMemories program did the trick.. and now I feel dumb, because a driver was one of the first things I looked for. The program is able to change the "USB Output Mode" of the camera, which enables it to be seen by the data recovery programs for whatever reason. It's also not a feature that I'm able to change without PlayMemories. Again, thank you for taking the time to help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.