Do I need an expensive HDMI cable for a 3DTV?

Koushick Talukdar

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
My dad bought a 3DTV even after i repeatedly told him not to since its a waste of money even though he got it from the black Friday deals. He also went and bought a £40 HDMI cable because the sales assistant said the sale wouldn't be complete if he didn't buy, but he has the option of returning it after.

The HDMI cable is called the Sandstrom Black Series and on the packaging it says it has low data loss at an 18 Gbps speed (whatever that means). Also says it has 2 shielding layers (?)

At the moment, we have a standard HDMI cable that we have used to connect our old TV to our Sjy digital setup box which we have for a very long time. Should we return the £40 hdmi cable?

Solution
Since 3D content is mostly via Blue Ray Disc and not through set top box you almost certainly don't need it to connect that. Any cable which meets the 1.4 specification will do 3D. A better made cable with better shielding is never a bad thing but only in longer runs do they make any kind of difference that you can see. Sometimes a better cable will allow an iffy HDMI output and input to work together.
Since 3D content is mostly via Blue Ray Disc and not through set top box you almost certainly don't need it to connect that. Any cable which meets the 1.4 specification will do 3D. A better made cable with better shielding is never a bad thing but only in longer runs do they make any kind of difference that you can see. Sometimes a better cable will allow an iffy HDMI output and input to work together.

Solution

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
These HDMI cables have been hyped. I use the least expensive ones, such as the Amazon Basics HDMI cables, and they work fine. Just pay attention to the length, and try to use the shorter lengths so the signal does not get attenuated.

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/