Oct 29, 2016
Hello! I have recently gained interest in old computers and the Arduino. Sure enough, I got an idea. How would I go about flashing a BASIC to a ROM chip, like a C64/Apple II would have done? I would like to know how I would go about flashing a ROM image, and how I would get a BASIC onto one. Thank you guys in advance!
Also, I would like to know what kind of chip(s) would be needed to flash a ROM image to, and would also like to note that I have 0 experience in languages like Assembly.

Solution
You're jumping too fast... Before you start "flashing" - you need to know what hardware you're targeting, what software this hardware supports, and what kind of storage. Only after that you can think about BASIC and so.

As for ROMs on C64/Apple/etc: These used to be (mostly) EPROM devices, erasable by UV light, and programmable thru special device.
You're jumping too fast... Before you start "flashing" - you need to know what hardware you're targeting, what software this hardware supports, and what kind of storage. Only after that you can think about BASIC and so.

As for ROMs on C64/Apple/etc: These used to be (mostly) EPROM devices, erasable by UV light, and programmable thru special device.

Solution

You are about 4-6 years short of a degree in computer science to do this unless you find someone with the right equipment and knowledge to do this for you. You will not get this info form a forum post.