Heat issue after installing new SSD.

Tiparium

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014
I just purchased a new Sandisk 480 Ultra ii SSD for my laptop, an Asus G75vw-DS71. While I have noticed the improvements in load times people often mention when talking about SSDs, I have also encountered a minor, but still fairly concerning heating issue. Before installation, while using the stock hard disk, the temperature of my GPU while under heavy load would idle around 75, 76 degrees. However, after installing the new SSD, my GPU temperature under heavy load has gone up to 79 to 80 degrees, and more surprisingly, the medium load temperature (such as while looking at a fairly empty area in a game) has gone up from 69 to 75. (The software I'm using to get these temperatures is Piriform Speccy. There doesn't seem to be any major change in temp when simply idling.) Now I would still consider these to be technically safe temperatures, though it is a tad annoying to have my fans running at full blast all the time. If it's possible to fix this problem, I'd like to know how. If it isn't, well then I guess I can deal with it, but if you all think the temperature it's hitting now is to high, I'll switch back to the hard drive. I'd really appreciate feedback, and assistance if there is any to be given.

Edit: Okaaayyy..... My CPU is now idling at around 62. Now that's REALLY not normal.

Hi,

Actually that's a bit high but still on the safe side, I would suggest opening your laptop and clean the inside of it. Make sure that there's no dust on the fans and apply new thermal paste on the GPU and CPU. Lastly, do also install the latest BIOS version update there is from ASUS support site.

Here's the link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G75VW/G75VWAS223.zip?_ga=1.67599123.305422646.1455979617

Once the latest BIOS version has been installed do observe it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

Tiparium

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014

Unfortunately new thermal paste isn't an option at the moment, since I don't own any. I don't think that should be an issue though, since nothing about it has changes since I switched the hard drive. I'll try everything else though, thanks.

Lo16_Lo16

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

Same here, I bought a SSD Sandisk Z410 120Go for my Toshiba Laptop ( 4years old)

With Old HDD => 40°-50° => idle fan
With new SSD => 70°-80° => 100% fan with CPU doing nothin

The Bios is up to date and I've applied new thermal paste.... The fan is clean too.
I will try a SSD370S Transcend and if it does the same, it's the SSD which cause heat problems....

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
your temps should not rise just due to ssd. actually they should go down as ssd have no moving parts they generate a lot less heat. there is nothing a ssd should do to raise your temps.

are you sure you didn't do something to block air flow inside of it?

Tiparium

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014

This issue has long since become irrelevant, since I've built a full desktop since then and the SSD now drives that, but SSDs can actually significantly raise your CPU temp. I didn't know this at the time. I wasn't talking about overall case temp, just the CPU temp.

Lo16_Lo16

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

But did you somewhat solve the CPU heat issue with the SSD installed in your laptop or did you simply put back the old HDD ?
Same issue here :/