Hooking Up and External Blu-Ray player (intended for use with laptops) To a TV with no USB port.

jmerton71

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
Okay, I'm doing this for my boss and I'm about ready to lose my mind with it but it's work so I can't just scrap this stupid project and throw the blu-ray player at his ancient tv. Please help!

I have an external Blu-Ray writer/player for the computer. I need the Blu-Ray player hooked up the TV but it only comes with a USB port, which the TV does not have. I purchased a USB to HDMI cable that I thought would do the job. But when I received the cable today, I realized that the Micro USB on my adapter cable was not actually a Micro USB, it’s a Micro MHL Cable and it won’t fit in the Blu-Ray player.

So now I either need a new USB to HDMI adapter cable or a Micro USB adapter with a free micro MHL port. Can anyone please help me with this?! I’ve been searching all over Amazon but cannot seem to find what I need. I have been able to located Micro MHL adapters with an open (or I guess female) Micro USB port but I need something that is the other way around

Thanks!

ssddx

Glorious
sorry to say, this will never work.

external dvd/bd drives meant for laptops are only bare drives. they require a pc to decipher the information on disk (software to play the video) and are not capable of doing this on their own or outputting video.

televisions do not have the capability to use external drives in this manner.

you would be better off using a cheap dvd/br player. you can typically pick them up at local flea markets for $5 or online for $1-10 used. i've seen them as low as $25 from stores such as walmart.

ssddx

Glorious
sorry to say, this will never work.

external dvd/bd drives meant for laptops are only bare drives. they require a pc to decipher the information on disk (software to play the video) and are not capable of doing this on their own or outputting video.

televisions do not have the capability to use external drives in this manner.

you would be better off using a cheap dvd/br player. you can typically pick them up at local flea markets for $5 or online for $1-10 used. i've seen them as low as $25 from stores such as walmart.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Streaming Video & TVs 8
Kimber_Har Streaming Video & TVs 3
P Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 2
C Streaming Video & TVs 4
D Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1