How do i hookup my samsung 55 hdtv, direct tv box and my older Yamaha receiver that does not have HDMI cable but it does have

bretharrison45

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
I have a samsung 55" hdtv (not LED)
Brand new direct tv box and a Yamaha natural sound AV receiver RX-V2500 that doesn't have hdmi. I have optic cables ,RCA cables and video cables and one S cable, also acouple of the cables with blue, green and red connectors and hdmi cables. How do i hook it all up correctly?

Solution
DTV box to TV with HDMI.
TV optical audio output to receiver optical audio input with a toslink optical audio cable.
Check the TV manual on how to use the optical out. You may have to turn it on, turn the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type.
Check the receiver manual on how to assign the optical connection (optical 2 for example) to an input (TV for example. There is usually an input set up menu to do this or a default setting that may work without this.
DTV box to TV with HDMI.
TV optical audio output to receiver optical audio input with a toslink optical audio cable.
Check the TV manual on how to use the optical out. You may have to turn it on, turn the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type.
Check the receiver manual on how to assign the optical connection (optical 2 for example) to an input (TV for example. There is usually an input set up menu to do this or a default setting that may work without this.

Solution