How do I sound record two people on a budget without Lavaliers?

AKipps123

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Hi

I'm starting a youtube channel with a friend and am going to shoot it on my Nikon D5000, which although provides an ok video quality, it doesn't have a port for me to plug a shotgun mic into it.

I'd therefore like to record the audio on a seperate device, and was wondering if you could suggest a resonalbly cheap way of doing this, without the use of lavaliers if at all possible?

I've hear a lot of people recommend a ZOOM h1, but would a mic like this be ok on it's own if I just put it on a stand and aimed it towards us? Or are there any other alternatives that I could simply point and record? I've seen lots of USB mics around, but the trouble with them is, I don't really want the mic in shot and it would be a bit of a hassle to lug my computer around with me everytime I want to record something.

Thanks

A.Kipps

Jun 3, 2017
Hi There AKipps123,

When in the situation of having two voice talents but not being able to use a lapel mic, or a shotgun mic, you might want to considering purchasing something like the RODE VideoMic Me, and plug it into your phone and record audio, and maybe video using that. This is a cheap and easy solution to solve your dilemma, if you want to take it one step further, consider purchasing a large-diaphragm condenser microphone and line up your audio in post. I hope this helped!

rgd1101

Polypheme
MERGED QUESTION
Question from AKipps123 : "What is the best way to record audio between two people for a Vlog?"

Jun 3, 2017
Hi There AKipps123,

When in the situation of having two voice talents but not being able to use a lapel mic, or a shotgun mic, you might want to considering purchasing something like the RODE VideoMic Me, and plug it into your phone and record audio, and maybe video using that. This is a cheap and easy solution to solve your dilemma, if you want to take it one step further, consider purchasing a large-diaphragm condenser microphone and line up your audio in post. I hope this helped!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kobinath Audio 1
S Audio 8
E Audio 11
A Audio 2
S Audio 5
H Audio 2
K Audio 5
Z Audio 1
P Audio 1
R Audio 6
A Audio 5