HibakuZoha

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
The CPU fan in my laptop is running too fast. I wish to control the speed manually to my preference, at times.

Here is a CPU-Z screenshot of my laptop configuration: http://i.stack.imgur.com/1oST1.png

And here is how SpeedFan window looks at my end: http://i.imgur.com/BIi0RdJ.jpg

I have no idea how to use SpeedFan to control my laptop's CPU fan speed. How to configure it so that I can increase and decrease speed of the fan at my will?

Solution
I know this is an old thread, but if the OP has not found a solution yet, then try this:
On the Speedfan main screen, go in Configure->Advanced
Then select chip. That is the chip number of your sensor chip.(You can find that in some temperature monitor(ITE IT87 in this case):

there is some setting like pwm1, pwm2 etc. set to on/off or some other, change that to software-controlled.
Now you can change fan speeds in speedfan main screen.
Also, you need to set fan control in speedfan configure for the program to control the speeds automatically.

HibakuZoha

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

Tried it, none of the PWM controls have any effect on the fan speed at all.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
You can control the fans with speedfan, but your motherboard needs to support it. Check speedfan's web site for a list of motherboards people have found to be compatible. I know I had an older MSI board on which I couldn't control the fan speed.

cst1992

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
I know this is an old thread, but if the OP has not found a solution yet, then try this:
On the Speedfan main screen, go in Configure->Advanced
Then select chip. That is the chip number of your sensor chip.(You can find that in some temperature monitor(ITE IT87 in this case):

there is some setting like pwm1, pwm2 etc. set to on/off or some other, change that to software-controlled.
Now you can change fan speeds in speedfan main screen.
Also, you need to set fan control in speedfan configure for the program to control the speeds automatically.

Solution

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Thank you cst1992!

That's exactly what the doctor ordered! I hate easy tune that ships with my gigabyte board. While it can change fan speeds it makes me do as manually. Speedfan can be easily made to adjust the speed as needed. I have a custom 12cm fan on my gpu and I wanted it sped up when GPU gets hot and vice versa.

Thanks again!

cst1992

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
It also allows for generally quieter operation; earlier my noisy CPU fan started humming the minute I launched a CPU intensive game. Now it's somewhat quieter.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Noisy and ineffective fan is #1 reason I replace the small and loud coolers on my GPUs. A single well made 12cm fan can be much more effective at cooling at fraction of the noise. Getting a faster RPM model helps with power hungry cards, but these need control for silent operation while GPU is idle. Speed fan is perfect for this- but it wouldn't work- not without your input on my 1150 gigabyte board.

It would happen that I would start gaming, but forget to ramp up the cooler, or that I would finish gaming and all of a sudden notice how loud my PC is. No such worries with speedfan automatically changing speeds.

Thanks again friend!

cst1992

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
Generally, what I said in this thread is only for you to be able to change the fan speed as you wish, and it stays there. To be able to change it according to a curve(such as lowest at 30C and highest at 60, and a gradual increase upto that) you'll need to configure a fan curve for your CPU and GPU fans.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Configuring a speed curve of a fan based on specific temperature (GPU in my case) is a simple thing in Speedfan and an impossible one in "easy tune" that ships with Gigabyte motherboards.

In order to make the speed profile have any sense, I had to give control of that one fan to Speedfan.