Status
Not open for further replies.

ivideo1011

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I want to create an Android app, but I can't find any updated tutorials. Is there a simple tutorial that I could use? I'm really interested in developing apps, I even started taking Java classes because of it. I just don't know where to start.

Solution

If you want to become a good programmer and an efficient one, I would suggest you start with the basics and build from there so you learn C/C++ then learn Java which will make learning Android a piece of cake.

If you want to make simple Android apps with no interest in becoming efficient and successful in it you can try one of the one billion tutorials available, Google is awesome, or you can even try http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ which a 6 year old can use to make an Android app...

ivideo1011

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

This question was targeted towards individuals with actual experience in programming, with a possible reference or recommendation on where to start.

Ijack

Distinguished

Ah, you mean individuals such as myself who are learning Android programming and would like to recommend the best place to start? Somewhere such as the link I gave which, apparently, you haven't bothered to look at.

Work through the tutorial that I linked to and then come back and complain. Alternatively, there are a host of books on Android programming available; I won't waste my time further by recommending any.

I'll repeat the additional suggestion - if you want to become a good programmer then number one step is to learn how to research information. (Number two would probably be learn how to accept advice.)

ivideo1011

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

No need to be rude, I have checked the link and already ran through the basics. I was specifically asking for a recommendation on where to start, only because it would be helpful to have more recent information, coming from a developer with experience, as the 'basic application' guide was last updated months ago.

@Ivideo1011,

Android.com is still the best place to get up-to-date information about Android development.
Then - even a "basic application guide" published three years ago would be a good start. If I was you - I would install the tools, start this "basic application guide", and make my first Android app.

Go to a book store - there are tons of books available, for all skills. Pick a book, browse thru it.

bmwmaniac

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

If you want to become a good programmer and an efficient one, I would suggest you start with the basics and build from there so you learn C/C++ then learn Java which will make learning Android a piece of cake.

If you want to make simple Android apps with no interest in becoming efficient and successful in it you can try one of the one billion tutorials available, Google is awesome, or you can even try http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ which a 6 year old can use to make an Android app.

My personal suggestion and advice would be to begin with the basics and build up your knowledge rather than taking patches of information with zero programming background which will make you lost.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.