How to record live/recorded signal from DVR to CD/HDD (like a VHS would)?

Zii

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
15875214_1419160031450168_383814844870539950_o.jpg

The above picture is what I am looking for. (See the device with ??? on it, that's what I'm looking for)

Normally, the HDMI cable will go from the DVR directly to the TV's HDMI, and I will watch TV like a normal person.

I'm looking for a device that I can use as a "middleman" of some sort, that will grab that HDMI signal and record it on either a Hard Drive, or a CD or something. (You know, exactly how a VHS box would record the live TV output from the cable, but this would be in HD)
Yes I know I have a DVR, yes it can record. I want to be able to record the LOCAL NEWS because it only airs ONE TIME and you will never have it rebroadcast again. There's no way I'd be able to watch it later online or ANYWHERE after it is off the air for that day. It's not a series like Game of Thrones. I'll never see that exact broadcast again unless I record it. (No, I'm not going to use my DVR because I have limited space, and I can't record that much news)

There HAS to be a device of some sort that can intercept the singal, and record the picture/sound as I play it through the DVR exactly? LIKE A SCREEN RECORDING, BUT INTERNAL

Please help me out guys. I know nothing about TV stuff

Solution

No there is no small intercept device because that would allow you to easily record and pirate material. That is why all those safeguards are in place, to prevent a simple middle man device...

TMTOWTSAC

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Won't comment on the capture, since it probably violates the terms of service. However, I know a number of people who have replaced or added large capacity drives to their DVR. Pretty much solves the storage issue instantly, and only requires a little knowledge of Linux (usually) and following a guide.

EDITED

You have two factors working against you in regards to recording content.

1) The signal from the coax to the DVR box is encrypted. Thus you need either the cable providers DVR box or a key card that has the decryption key.
2) The signal from the DVR to the TV has DRM safegaurds in it that require all devices in the chain to communicate an EDID to prevent unauthorized middle-man devices.

Thus you have 2 options:
1) Increase hard drive size with guide for your dvr model as suggested above (will probably be against rules of your cable provider unless you deliberately bought the DVR).
2) Use your own recording device (either a dvr like a tivo or use a PC plus a cable decryption device like hdhomerun prime)

Zii

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

Live local news can easily be caught with a simple antenna from Walmart. It's FREE already (Think CBS)

I'm just trying to do this through a DVR, since the signal is great. I don't see why this isn't totally legal.

Zii

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

Wouldn't the TIVO completely replace my "Verizon" DVR? I can't have both now?

I would like to avoid switching providers, and I don't know exactly how a PC cable card or whatever it's called works. It seems rather complicated. Is there really no small intercepting device that can just catch the singal along the HDMI cable without interfering with the encryption/EDID? (Like, staying invisible to the DVR)

No there is no small intercept device because that would allow you to easily record and pirate material. That is why all those safeguards are in place, to prevent a simple middle man device.

You can use an HDMI pc capture card to go from DVR to PC to TV but that means you have to actually "watch" the news when it comes on.

There is no reason why you couldn't have both the verizon dvr AND the TiVo (you would have to split coax and have both hooked up, and TiVos use CableCard), but why would you want to pay for both a TiVo and a DVR when all you need is the TiVo with a big hard drive in it.

The TiVo DVR type device is certainly easier to setup then taking something like a HDHomeRun to decrypt the signal plus setting up a desktop PC (you defiantly want something hard wired with ethernet, not wifi) to record the content.
The PC option is way more versatile but does require a little more computer savy of a consumer (if you can build a PC or reflash a router then you could do it).

Solution

Zii

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I don't know how to reflash a router, but I've built plenty of PC's.

It's just that I'm playing less than $40 a month for TV, HBO, and 75/75 internet combined. Switching over to Tivo wouldn't be the most cost effective solution.

What about receivers? Those things take inputs from DVR's, DVD players, Speakers, etc EVERYTHING and send the signal back to the TV. Why can't there be a receiver with a CD tray? Is it really that impossible? I can hook up my old old TV that has built in VHS and there would be no issues whatsoever recording.

As for the PC tuner card option, can't I just have the news record to my HD to watch later? Wasn't that the whole point of getting the card and switching over to PC?

And the Tivo. I'll be able to save all the recording to the tivo if I split the coax (which I can do) and then what can I do with the recordings? Can I put them on my computer to watch them there? Would I be able to upload a small clip to YouTube and share with family? That's really what I'm trying to get at here.

While live local broadcasts can be picked up for free using an over-the-air antenna, your provider is required by contract with other cable/satellite channels to encrypt their content to prevent recording, duplication, and dissemination of their content.

I believe federal regulations state that service providers have a choice as to whether or not, encrypt local broadcast channels. If they choose to do so, they are required to provide at least one decryption device, free of charge. The way to test this is to take the coaxial cable from the wall outlet and connect it directly to your HDTV. Scan for channels. If your local channels are found and display correctly, then they are not encrypted and can be recorded, freely.

-Wolf sends

If all you want to do is record local broadcast channels, then you don't need anything from your service provider. Just get a standard ATSC TV tuner card and install it in your PC. No need for a cablecard. What channels you get will depend on what your reception is like. Go to AntennaWeb.org to get an idea.

"DVR" capabilities are only limited by the amount of hard drive space you have available in your PC.

-Wolf sends

What you have to realize is that cable companies basically dont want you to be able to record any content to anything but their boxes (and really they dont even want that, but they need to to be competitive). It is only because of legislation that they are forced to even allow devices that use the CableCard to decrypt the signal. The entire point of the system is to make it difficult for any middleman devices, thus this functionality is not just going to be built into a receiver.

You can export recordings to computer or you can just use a HDHomeRun Prime or cable capture card in your PC to record to your PC directly.

As far as putting the local news on youtube would be against the law.

If you are going to pay for a TiVo then there is no reason to have both a TiVo and the verizon DVR. Just use the TiVo for everything instead of having two devices to do the same thing.

If all you need is the locally broadcast news, then avoid all the complication with the cable provider and get an ATSC tuner box with DVR, I see some real cheap ones in Amazon, you attach your own external USB drive, but please read all the fine prints and reviews, and be sure you can live with whatever limitation.

One hour of high quality 1080 recording takes me 7.5 gig, so you do the math.

HDMI out from your cable box has HDCP which keeps unauthorized devices from displaying or recording the output. A computer display without an HDCP HDMI input will not work with your cable box.
The only video cards with HDMI inputs that I have seen are not HDCP compliant so only work with HDMI from video cameras.
If the cable box also has AV output then you could record that on any DVR with analog inputs. No copy guard on analog outputs which is why they were removed from all DVD and BD players.

jenniferalarson

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
This is all so interesting and like a foreign language to me. I find it so frustrating that once the country went digital, that it is hard to record. I used to record late shows and stuff ALL THE TIME. Finally (having no cable tv) my government issued black box quit working and I got a new one and a sweet by-product is that I can record. But it is not very reliable. It is frustrating that you need a degree in engineering to set up a system how you would like.

If you bought a TIVO
https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-OTA-DVR-Compatible/dp/B01DR4T73Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1483815141&sr=1-1&keywords=tivo+lifetime
or Channel Master
http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm
you would find them to work better than the one you probably got. Most of them are just too cheap to work well.
When video went to digital it allowed for more control over how content is distributed. Didn't make it impossible since you can stream or download almost anything online (semi legal or illegal) but made it more difficult. Cable companies want to lease you their DVRs so it suits them too.

Zii

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

I'm planning on getting this HDMI splitter

and this card

Can someone please tell me if the HDCP problem or whatever is resolved this way? I'm not planning on recording HBO or anything, but you can't ever be too sure, as some news might be copy protected, right? RIGHT?

The last thing I want is to buy these items and find out that I can't record the damn news because of HDCP protection. Is there a way I can check if it's protected???

As soon as someone tells me I'm good to go, I'll buy this stuff. Already in my cart

HDCP is not an issue to be resolved. The content is either protected or it isn't and that's entirely up to your cable provider. Attempting to get around that is illegal in the US and will not be discussed here.

Your posted solution would *probably* work as cable companies generally do not encrypt/protect local broadcasts, but I still think you're making this more difficult than it needs to be. Unless you're miles and miles from your local broadcast towers, all you need is an ATSC TV Tuner Card like this Hauppage 1196 HVR installed in your PC to record local channels.

-Wolf sends

Zii

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

OK ordered the Hauppage colossus 2. (I'll call this HC2)

Got this (I'll call this the stripper) https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-Model/dp/B004F9LVXC/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6MYYYARTDH0FFE70PXJQ

And this too (I'll call this the switch) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F35KWEQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FIOS DVR>STRIPPER>TV = sucessful tv viewing (via HDMI)
FIOS DVR>STRIPPER>HC2 = no signal (via HDMI)

FIOS DVR>STRIPPER>SWITCH>HC2 = works *sometimes*

My guess is that the stripper does not actually strip very well. I managed to trick my DVR for about 20 minutes into thinking that it was outputting to a TV, by having both the HC2 and TV connected to the switch, and swapping them out. Unfortunately, it no longer worked after 20 minutes. I guess the DVR caught on to something funky going on.

I can't seem to recreate the signal on the HC2. I know doing this with component cables will be so much easier (and someone told me that they DO indeed go up to 1080p!) But I don't know what cable to get, because again my computer is 10-15ft away and the HC2 only has one black component input vs the 3/4 component outputs on the FIOS DVR. So which cable do I buy? It needs to be like... 15 feet long... OR a component to HDMI adapter would work, but again I can't find the correct one.

At first I thought it wasn't working because I was on an HDCP channel, but I changed the channel to #33 (which is like a very local, definitely not copy protected channel) and STILL no signal at all on the HC2.

Looks like the set top box refuses to output any HDMI signal that doesn't go directly to a TV. Regardless of what I'm trying to record. Any way I can trick it into thinking it's outputting to a TV? Is the component cable option really the only way to go? Again, I'm really confused because the DVR has the multiple colored outputs, and the HC2 has only 1 black component input.

I am not planning on uploading any of the local news online. I just want it saved on my computer hard drive so I have space to record more shows on my tiny FiOS DVR drive. Seriously, I'm always at 99% full. I don't want to pay a crapload of extra money for a slightly less tiny drive in my STB. I'm doing everything as legal as possible.

And you said content is either protected or it isn't could Verizon protect ALL content? Can I check this somehow, because this is ridiculous if I can easily get a stupid local channel OTA for free and do whatever I want with it, but through coax cable via DVR it's somehow impossible. Can't even watch it.

Zii

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

I don't know which component cable to buy. Can't find the one I need.