How to specify Dolby audio endcoding and disable DTS

rockwhynot

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Hello,

I'm trying to enable Dolby over DTS and can't find anyway to disable the encoding formats I don't want nor select the encoding I do want. My Yamaha receiver supports: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS audio, and DTS-HD. I understand while I'm playing PC games that support one of these encodings, considering I'm using a simple HDMI to receiver to TV setup one of the aforementioned encodings will kick in but which one? I know that in the playback device menu sometimes there is a box to check or uncheck which encodings one wants to enable but unfortunately not with my nvidia high definition audio driver. I really appreciate all responses.

Solution
You'll find that while pretty much any game supports 5.1 or 7.1 audio that 90% of them output via pcm so the publisher doesn't have to pay Dolby a licensing fee on every copy sold.

There are some exceptions , the cod games I believe output Dolby & maybe a few ea titles

Apart from that it will just be automatic based on your windows sound settings.

Im using a very similar setup , nvidia 970 connector to a Sony str-dh820

Rarely see Dolby lit up on games , only on Dolby encoded videos/movies.
You'll find that while pretty much any game supports 5.1 or 7.1 audio that 90% of them output via pcm so the publisher doesn't have to pay Dolby a licensing fee on every copy sold.

There are some exceptions , the cod games I believe output Dolby & maybe a few ea titles

Apart from that it will just be automatic based on your windows sound settings.

Im using a very similar setup , nvidia 970 connector to a Sony str-dh820

Rarely see Dolby lit up on games , only on Dolby encoded videos/movies.

Solution