Peyton76

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015
So my laptop is pretty old and has recently been overheating on pretty much every game. I know all the common issues being thermal paste/fans not working/dust buildup.

I clear it of dust buildup regularly, it's like new in that regard. I replaced the main fan not too long ago and it's working fine. I've cleaned out the old thermal paste and reapplied arctic silver properly and cleanly. I don't see why it should be overheating.

The confusing thing is, I keep an eye on the temperatures and the hottest anything gets is the GPU at 60-65c, usually around 45-50c.
Yet the laptop still just shuts off instantly as if it were overheating during any games or similarly intensive programs.
I don't have the money to replace it unfortunately, am I out of luck and the gpu simply done for?

Specs:

• HP HDX 18 Notebook
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @2.26GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    3GB of RAM
    Windows 7 x64

I understand these specs are considerably less than stellar but it's been enough to run most things I've been running on low or medium or whatever is needed to work, currently I can't run anything from the past ten years.
Any help is appreciated!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in identifying the issue. The problem may not be the GPU, it could just be the AC adapter or battery.
- First do test the AC adapter, remove the battery off the laptop then plug in just the AC adapter and see if it will stay on.
- If it will still shut down I would suggest trying a different AC adapter as well and see if the same problem will happen.
- If the same issue will happen with a different AC adapter that confirms it that the problem is with the motherboard.
- But if it doesn't shut down with just the AC adapter without the battery that means it's just the battery that is faulty.
- Or if it doesn't shut down with a different AC adapter that means it's just the charger that is faulty.

Peyton76

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015
Took a while to get replacement AC adapter and test it out, unfortunately the shutdowns still occur. Plugged in/battery/both. Does this mean it's the mobo, if yes is it something I can perhaps fix or am I SOL?

Edit: Sorry double post

Peyton76

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015

Took a while to get replacement AC adapter and test it out, unfortunately the shutdowns still occur. Plugged in/battery/both. Does this mean it's the mobo, if yes is it something I can perhaps fix or am I SOL?