Question Laptop keyboards (yes, multiple) malfunctioned a few days after replacing them. What should I do?

Dec 27, 2020
I have replaced my laptop (Asus R558U) keyboard thrice but faced the same problem every time. After a few days of replacing the keyboard, some of the keys get pressed automatically. They keep pressing until I press some other key. Again, I don't think keyboards are the root cause here, it is something else. What could it be?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020
I replaced my laptop (Asus R558U) keyboard two times. Both the times, the keyboard worked fine for a few weeks and then malfunctioned (some keys get pressed automatically and keep pressing until I press some other key) . What could be the issue?

Gremlins or ghosts I would say! Seriously, there is still some hardware to interface the keyboard to the CPU but it is unlikely this is the problem. I would suspect software. Any software with certain system privileges can generate keystrokes that look just like they came from the keyboard. If it was my machine, I would do a complete (clean) Windows reinstall. That is a painful process as you will loose all your data and programs and have to reinstall them. Figuring out where the keystrokes were coming from would be quite difficult. If it's been a while since you did a Windows reinstall, you might find it also improves your machines performance by a noticeable amount. I do a reinstall myself about once a year.