Laptop lights turn on but no boot or beeps[Dell Inspiron N5110]

RynKnowsNothing

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Hi,

My laptop was working perfectly for as long as i have used it. Never had any problems. i turned it off one night and when trying to turn it on in the morning ran into some trouble.

First the power button light would turn on and the fans would start up but the screen remained black. I read online to re-seat the ram but this did nothing. I then tried to remove the cmos battery, but didn't end up actually touching the battery. I just thought i'd try and turn it on and it worked. i don't know why, but it did. This stayed on for about 3-4 weeks.

Last night i accidentally changed the power settings and it went into hibernation/sleep and now it wont turn on. The lights come on like before, but now there is no sound of fans, and it doesn't beep when i leave it. I did re-seat the ram, just in case but to no result.

Should i take this to a shop for repair, or is their something i can do? My main fear is that it may be the motherboard or CPU.

EDIT: I've tried taking the battery out and holding the power button, taking out the battery and using the cord. None of these methods have worked

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help. Please do all the steps even though you've done them. :)
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If this will not work, do test the AC adapter if it's working properly. Remove the battery and power the laptop with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will boot up or not. do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will work or not.
- Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter will not work, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If it will still not work, connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it. If there's a display on the external monitor that could mean that the problem is the built in display.
- But if there's still no display on the external monitor that means the problem lies in the motherboard.