Microsoft Excel didn't recover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Hi. One of the worst things that ever happens, Excel didn't recover!!

I'm using Excel 2007 in Windows 7. I had a dozen or so files open. Some I had saved regularly, others were new documents [Books], that I had never saved, and some in between. I think another program I had open was using a crap ton of memory, affecting Excel, a pop-up appeared with two options, 1. look for a solution online AND restart Excel or 2. restart Excel. Well. Let me think for a minute. So, I went with the simple "restart Excel" because >expletive storm< what was the difference and I know what caused the crash [probably].. I checked the location everyone suggests, UnsavedFiles [or whatever it's called], but 1. I don't have that 2. I set the AutoRecover to save things in MyDocuments. I also went in and out of nearly every folder on the C: drive, and NOTHING!!

Am I REALLY screwed, with no luck of getting my unsaved work back, or is there something I'm missing? [I may not like the answer, but if it's the truth, I don't really have a choice]

Solution

I imagine it would depend on the state of the 'data', and how the system or Excel was restarted.
If the file was never actually saved, and the whole PC was restarted..the data just lived in the volatile RAM. Gone.

Also, you have to know the AutoSave timer.

Bottom line though...it sounds like you might need more RAM to prevent this from happening again.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Office can be notorious for that.
Maybe google something like "unsaved excel document recovery location".
It should/could store unsaved docs somewhere, just a matter of drilling through folders.

I switched to Macs at work ~10 years ago for this exact reason.

Blackink

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
So what happens when you left click once on the Windows emblem in the upper left corner of the Excel window?

Does a drop down window open up with options of New, Open, Save, etc... on the left side of that window? You should see Recent Documents showing on the right side of that previous mentioned drop down window.

Maybe your files can be selected from there?

Good Luck....

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
*UPDATE* What also doesn't make sense, AutoRecover happened many times. Thus there were files [in theory]. I just checked the recycling bin [sometimes they go there too], nothing.

I'm also doing a search on the C: drive for any file created or updated within the last [time frame], but I haven't mastered 7, so I don't know how to limit it to Excel type files, compared to XP where it was easy

Blackink

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
Google found this...

Where autosave Excel files are stored?
How to recover unsaved Excel files

Go to FILE -> Open.
Choose Recent Workbooks.
Scroll down and click on the Recover Unsaved Workbooks button at the bottom of the list. Note. ...
When the Open dialog box pops up, just select the necessary file and click Open.

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Blackink, the files to the right of Open, Save, Print, etc, as far as I know have no relation to unsaved documents. Those are just documents you have opened recently. Chances are you worked on them, but clicking on any of them generally brings you to where it's saved, regardless of if it had been updated without saving. Sorry, thank you for the advice though

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
BAH! that's what I'm thinking, USAFRet. Even when Excel is forced closed, that's similar to the computer crashing or something, and tries to recover [I've experienced that]. But, gah. this "restart" versus "restart".. STUPID MICROSOFT!!

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
To your second response, Blackink, which version of Excel was Google working with? Not many people [I think] stick with old versions. I've seen some links similar to what you suggested, but when selecting "Open", it brings me to Libraries > Documents, and no Excel files.

Thank you blackink. Gots to go dig through the filing cabinets upstairs to try remembering what hadn't been saved. Unfortunately it's all personal stuff not based on tax forms, billing statements, etc.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I imagine it would depend on the state of the 'data', and how the system or Excel was restarted.
If the file was never actually saved, and the whole PC was restarted..the data just lived in the volatile RAM. Gone.

Also, you have to know the AutoSave timer.

Bottom line though...it sounds like you might need more RAM to prevent this from happening again.

Solution

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

*should have replied to a few earlier posts this way, too late now.. I'm familiar with what you're talking about. I has created a task in Task Scheduler for the computer to be shut down at [time]. When I turned the computer back on, nothing was recovered. I think it was because Excel wasn't forcefully shut down, so it assumed anything that hadn't been saved wasn't meant to be. But this time, there was no "let's restart the computer in five minutes" thing, Excel had locked up, the pop-up appeared, Option 1. restart, Option 2. restart.. I sort of wish I had waited a few more minutes, even X'd out, thus choosing neither option, and hopefully I could have forced Excel rather than restarting.

I just checked, the computer is supposed to have 8 GB of installed RAM, that should be more than enough, right?

USAFRet

Illustrious

8GB RAM depends on what the rest of the system is doing.

"I think another program I had open was using a crap ton of memory" does not bode well for having 'only' 8GB.

Elle__

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

You're probably right.. Hulu can take up a lot of memory when scrolling through infinity pages and such. Either or, make sure to save before going to a new file or every hour, whichever comes first. Hate these learning experiences!!

Status
Not open for further replies.