Question MSI GE62VR 6RF Apache Pro Won't Boot After Undervolting Using XTU

May 5, 2019
My laptop ran incredibly hot so I took the risk and undervolted my CPU in an attempt to lower temps. I think I did around -130mV and ran a benchmark. I did all this using XTU and since I had to do something soon I shut down the laptop. I realised soon after that I probably should have put it back to stock settings since I didn't run the benchmark but since the laptop restarted fine I just assumed that it would start fine. The next day came and when I pressed the power button the LED turned on, the keyboard lighted up, fans were spinning, but no display on the laptop screen or my second monitor. I unplugged all wires connected to the laptop and restarted but nothing. No power was even going to the external keyboard and mouse. Is there anyway to fix this or did I permanetely damage my CPU? My laptop is out of warranty since I used it for around 2 1/2 years.

Thanks in advanced.

EDIT: Fixed issue by soft resetting

Last edited:
Undervolting is so not the right fix for overheating. I would have suggested you check first for what was actually overheating. The CPU, GPU, something else? That is important.
The I would suggest checking that the device is clear of all dust and debris inside. Making sure the fans are clear and the vents as well. If that didn't do it, then I would suggest replacing the thermal paste. Depending on what was overheating (as you said it was overheating but not what component was) if the paste replacement didn't fix it, then I would recommend parts replacements. Fan, Motherboard, etc.

At this point, you probably fried something. I would suggest taking it to a local tech and have it looked at.

May 5, 2019
Undervolting is so not the right fix for overheating. I would have suggested you check first for what was actually overheating. The CPU, GPU, something else? That is important.
The I would suggest checking that the device is clear of all dust and debris inside. Making sure the fans are clear and the vents as well. If that didn't do it, then I would suggest replacing the thermal paste. Depending on what was overheating (as you said it was overheating but not what component was) if the paste replacement didn't fix it, then I would recommend parts replacements. Fan, Motherboard, etc.

At this point, you probably fried something. I would suggest taking it to a local tech and have it looked at.
Hey I actually fixed it by just soft resetting it by holding the power button for 20 seconds. Not sure how but I'll take it. Anyways both the GPU and the CPU are overheating so I'll probably replace the thermal paste next week or so. Thanks for the reply anyway. :D